Day 28 - Puerto Vallarta


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Puerto Vallarta
January 18th 2011
Published: January 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Puero Vallarta


Alarm set for 8AM and we agreed to be on our way to buffet for breakfast by 8.45AM. One problem though. We were using the cell phones as alarms and they are still on California time which is one hour behind ship time, woops ! Lucky Kerry awoke at 8.15AM, and realised.

We looked outside to see the ship had arrived in the beautiful Bandaras Bay and we hurrily headed up to the Horizons Buffet for breakfast. Back to our cabin to watch as the ship docked at Puerta Vallarta. It was nice to arrive straight into dock.

We exited the ship to meet up with our tour as planned at 9.15AM. We headed about 20 minutes north to Nelua Vallarta where a lot of new hotels are being built as this is one of the fastest growing regions in Central America. It was nice and sunny and warm (I’m guessing about 27 degrees)

We were headed to Dolphin Adventures where I shelled out $280- each so we could be Dolphin Trainers for a day. We started by having a briefing about the Dolphins, and we got to meet them. They had about 6-7 in the main swimming pool, and they took us on a short boat trip to the other area where they had about 10 more including he baby dolphin which was only 6 months old.

We then went back to the man area and went to to the Sea Lion pool where we all jumped in to the pool occupied by 2 Sea Lions and a baby seal. Soon the Sea Lion would start swimming right next to us and rubbing up against us really close so we could feel it’s skin and it wasn’t long before we were comfortable in touching them and scratching them behind their tiny ears.

Next up we all got an individual photo taken where the Sea Lion would stand tall and give us a kiss. We were standing in a fairly shallow part of the pool about 3 feet deep. When it was my turn I walked about 5-6 feet to where we told to stand and I did not realise the pool had a ledge where I took one step too many and fell straight down under. My head went about 3-4 feet under the water. After regaining my composure I suckered up for a kiss on the cheek.

Next we all took turns floating in the middle of the pool where the Sea Lions would jump over our heads. This was a lot of fun and not anything like we had expected.

Next we headed down to the main Dolphin Pool and we got our wet suits and life jackets on as the water in this pool was a lot colder as it sources it’s water from the adjoining river.

We got to see how they teach the dolphins to do tricks on command, and then we got to kiss, cuddle and dance with them by holding their flippers. We then did some dolphin surfing where one dolphin swims right by you on either side and you grab their fins and they drag you around the pool (like surfing). Finally we had a belly ride where you hold on to their flippers as they swim backwards and you just lie on their bellies which I think everyone thought was the best.

They finished with a display of dolphins doing their aerial tricks showing us how they stay in time jumping together and some did the aerial backflips right in front of us and splashing us when they landed.

We then had a shower to warm up and had a briefing about how they medically monitor the dolphins health and then a photo shoot with some local Macau like birds which had beautiful colours, some lunch with chicken guacamole tasting really delicious. About 2.30PM we departed back to the Ship. We had a lady taking photo’s and a video of us, and the DVD will be sent to us at home once they done the editing. It should be great to watch.

Once we got back to the Ship we decided to get a Taxi to see the downtown area about 10 minutes away. The driver said for $40- he would give us a private tour for 1.5 hours and get us back to Ship in time for sail away. This was just what we needed. He drove along he Malecon where they have some unbelievable sand sculptures, the road are all cobblestoned, and up in the hills for a couple of lookouts and some fine houses, and then back to downtown to go pass the old cathedral, and stopped at Diamond International to get the free bracelets.

Kerry spotted a Tanzanite & Diamond Ring. I said the motto on the cruise had to be “Try It, Like It, Buy It”. Thanks to Mr American Express she was in luck.

We were back on the Ship by 4.30PM, and we sat on the balcony drinking our French Champagne as the boat set sail west into a beautiful sunset. lot of people were out on their balconies including one guy who thought he was on his own private balcony with no-one watching him and he was only wearing his undies (and yes I took a photo to prove it ). I wondered whether this guy might have been on that rain with the college kids back in Atlanta ! Anyway it’s a bit of a concern I keep seeing people just wearing undies all the time.

Dinner was in the Cool Moon restaurant and I had a red bean soup for dinner and the speciality dish of Noodles with Scallops for main. Desert was a slice of Ice Cream in the Neapolitan style of three flavors.

We then went to the Theatre to see Carlos Oscar the comedian and he was hilarious. He went for about 1.15 hours and his material is all about normal stuff (women’s shopping habits, strange habits of his relatives and home parties etc).

After this we went to the Fusion Club to see some 50’s and 60’s music, followed by some Karaoke which was fun.

Cell phones set up for another early day as we visit our second port of call. Let’s hope I got the right times on this occasion.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb