So many things for sale....so little to buy...


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Jalisco » Guadalajara
February 8th 2014
Published: February 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We had to move from our lovely Casa Colorin yesterday...they are normally booked out 3 months, so we were lucky to get any time there...

We are now staying in small hotel about half way between the house and the central plaza...it's quiet and friendly, but very basic...we have a two room suite with a small patio...flat screen TV with cable (so we've seen a bit of the Olympics), and breakfast on weekday mornings...

Today we walked to the center of the city and took a public bus to the village of Tonala, which has a giant craft market on Sundays... there were few interesting booths among the thousands we passed...most of the good stuff is too big or heavy to carry home: glass, pottery, wood... Many of the booths sold garish/cutsey stuff, but we found a few small dishes and a small Madonna icon that we liked.

After a late breakfast in a sidewalk eatery, we tried to get to Tlaquepaque, a more upscale artisan town, by bus, but gave up and took a taxi after getting several different bus numbers. The center of Tlaquepaque has a lovely covered plaza where we had a drink and listened to a band play, with various singers and dancers...we were entertained by conjecturing about the wealthy family sitting in front us: grandparents, their son and pregnant daughter-in-law, and three little daughters (2 were two year old twins). The wife looked exhausted by the thought of another baby....

After lingering over our drinks for a good hour or so (I had the house specialty, made with fresh citrus, ice, and tequila poured over it, we took a bus back to the center of Guadalajara, and walked home, eating a simple dinner along the way....Around the center, the streets were still packed with families and young courting couples, along with vendors selling most everything. We saw several "3 peso" stores, the 20 cents version of dollar stores. By the time we got near our hotel the streets were nearly deserted....

Tomorrow we will try to purchase eye glasses and then go to tequila country....


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Bell ringing by hand!Bell ringing by hand!
Bell ringing by hand!

This the first time I've seen cathedral bells of this size rung by hand....very loud!
City bus ride to TonalaCity bus ride to Tonala
City bus ride to Tonala

Not much of a suspension left on this bus....I think I'm probably a half inch shorter after the 45 minute ride!


10th February 2014

Memories ..
Went to school in Guadalajara one summer long ago . . . . Great pictures to jog beautiful memories! Thanks!
11th February 2014

Didn't know you went to school here!
What was it like?

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb