Worshiping the Sun


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Distrito Federal » Mexico City
February 10th 2008
Published: February 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday afternoon

We had a less than ideal night...our room was right on the very busy truck route into the city and the people next yo us were noisy, but we had found a nice little restuarant nearby where we were the only customers, the evening was not a total mess! In the morning, we walked two blocks to the bus station and caught a bus to the Teotihuacan pyramids.

The bus ride was interesting. We both love traveling by bus, and watching the countryside or cities go by. As we left the central area of Mexico City, housing became more and more piced together and poorer, but there were interesting buildings in every neighborhood. After about 30 minutes of travel, we started seeing some open land and men on horse back.

The pyramids are located in a dry (this time of year), flat area, with cactus growing all around. this photos can't concey the immensity of the site, where only part has been uncovered. It was Sunday and somewhat crowded, but this gave some sense of how it would have look with its large population back in 500 AD! The weather was good-warm and sunny with breeze. The Mexican tourists outnumbered foreign ones by about 20 to 1. There were lots of children!

Tomorrow we will take a bus to Morelia, a five hour trip.





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Temple of the SunTemple of the Sun
Temple of the Sun

This is the third largest pyramid in the world. It was built all at once in 100 AD, from rock and dirt, without use of the wheel!
People climbing the Sun PyramidPeople climbing the Sun Pyramid
People climbing the Sun Pyramid

I don't like climbing up these steep structures, but this was easy, since there was a rope to hold on to on the way down....it was hard work, though since we are at 2,300 meters already!
Pyramid of the MoonPyramid of the Moon
Pyramid of the Moon

This is a bit smaller, but almost as high as the sun pyramid. We could only climb part way up.
View down the "Road of the Dead"View down the "Road of the Dead"
View down the "Road of the Dead"

The Aztecs who first saw the ruins thought that the smaller pyramids along the road were tombs of the dead giants, who had built the larger pyramids.
MonicaMonica
Monica

Monica´s grandmother watched our pack for us. She wouldn't take any money but said we could give it to Monica. I showed her a photo of my class.


Tot: 0.513s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 30; qc: 112; dbt: 0.154s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb