Kolabal!!! San Cristóbal de las Casas


Advertisement
Published: March 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

We left San Cristóbal more informed people than when we arrived. We were motivated to go to San Cristóbal because we wanted to see the state of Chiapas and the obvious draw of the Zapatistas. We had also heard that San Cristóbal was an amazing town. It was everything we expected it to be and more. We stayed in the best hostel we had stayed at in all of Mexico. Le Gite Del Sol, Posada Bed and Breakfast was amazing! We arrived into town on an OCC overnite bus around 6:30am and the French Canadian owner was up and waiting for us at the hostel gate. A delicious home cooked breakfast every morning was included in the cost.
During our brief stay in San Cristóbal we visited the Museum of Maya Medicine where we learned all about traditional Mayan healing that is still very alive and practiced today in Mexico. We also frequented El Puente Cinema every night at 7pm where we saw films on Che Guevara, Zapatistas, the Chiapas Rainforest, and Emiliano Zapata. We took a boat tour through the Cañón del Sumidero. We visited the town of Chiapa de Corzo. We took an eye opening tour to autonomous mayan villages San Juan Chamula and San Lorenzo Zinacantán with Alex y Raul tours and learned about indigenous lifestyle and struggle. And we wandered around San Cristóbal the rest of the time.
We loved the city and had a great time learning so many new things.

Kolabal=thank you in tsotsi language...Kolabal San Cristóbal!


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

museo of mayan medicinemuseo of mayan medicine
museo of mayan medicine

model of a traditional birthing
Kings Day in MexicoKings Day in Mexico
Kings Day in Mexico

In Mexico the catholic tradition is the person who finds the plastic baby jesus doll in their piece of cake must throw a party on February 2, "Candelaria Day," offering tamales and atole (a hot sweet drink thickened with corn flour) to the guests.
graham with a zapatista dollgraham with a zapatista doll
graham with a zapatista doll

purchased in an outdoor market
Cañón del Sumidero National ParkCañón del Sumidero National Park
Cañón del Sumidero National Park

that's an alligator!!! i have never seen one in the wild before, it was awesome!
Cañón del Sumidero National ParkCañón del Sumidero National Park
Cañón del Sumidero National Park

there was a monkey in there somewhere!
Cañón del Sumidero National ParkCañón del Sumidero National Park
Cañón del Sumidero National Park

this scene is on the Chiapas flag


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb