Yucatan Penninsula


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Campeche » Campeche
January 26th 2008
Published: January 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Merida was a really interesting place to visit. I lucked out again with the hostel I chose to stay at. It was quite large and the cliental included children under 10 (two different families) ,the usual 19-35 crowd. married 40's from France ,Sweden, and Belgum and 3 women my age.What a mix! One night lying in bed hearing other voices outside my window I thought it was a bit like a summer camp. A pleasant experience . Each evening at 7 there were salsa classes and twice @8:30 a man entertained us by singing and playing a guitar. He had an amazing voice. Sitting in the courtyard was magical. This left us with enough time to get to the designated Plaza for a cultural performance or dance whatever the case might be.

It was fun.

During the day there were museums ,tours of various kinds and of course the usual walking around looking at stuff. It was a bit difficult to leave as there was still so much one could do. Oh well another trip I will have to go to ChickenItza ,the cenotes and and down to Progresso and the beach area.

I arrived in Campeche on Thursday night just in time for the beginning of the Carnival . The parade was like nothing I have seen before. It started with people in costumes like the KKK and a band playing a funeral dirge ...it's true...a dirge. I then saw that they were dragging (acting of course) a man dressed in a pirate costume by ropes . They proceeded to tie him to supports and started a fire behind him...other people arrived (in costumes of course ) and other bands (drums and horns) still playing a dirge and it getting really loud and I am getting really confused. I found out that they were kiling the pirate for he had terrorized Campeche for centuries and they wanted him gone so they could celebrate in peace.There was fire , fireworks,and then there was a regular mardi gras type of parade with amazing costumes and candy being thrown from floats...It was all quite amazing.

The next night it was the crowning of the MAYAMUNDO king and queen of the Carnival.This was a BIG deal with flashy gowns ,huge tiara and the kings and queens of the past and of various organizations give their chance to parade down the runway .

Campeche too is an interesting town. In the day it is a quiet place . The traffic moves slower , there are no busses in the centro and the facades of the buildings are painted in pastels and have wonderful filigreed door and window covers. On the 2nd floor there are often mock balconies which make it all look appealling. Way more so than Mireda which from street level looked quite uninviting.

In the plaza last night there was entertainment in the gazebo and there were food sales and merchant carts set up. There was also a section where people were playiing a game that looked and sounded like bingo!

I have enjoyed my time here also . Tomorrow I head inland again this time to Palenque .

Hope all is well . Keep in touch .

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1013.8kb