Third Formal Night


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 25.7524, -114.111

Only one more day left on the ship. We had the last formal night, and all our tablemates showed up for dinner. Leonard and Allison, Estelle and Sam, Lori, Suzann, and we made up the table. They have been a nice group to spend dinnertime with.

This morning when we had breakfast at the buffet, there was a woman monopolizing the toaster. After she touched all the English muffins that came out, I decided to wait and go back later to fix one for me.

I went to two presentations in the Cabaret Lounge that Philip chose to skip. In the morning, Cruise Director Sammi interviewed the singers and dancers. They told how they came to work in the entertainment field and how they chose to work on ships, specifically Princess ships. They work hard, but always seem to be happy and energetic. They are usually the ones running games throughout the day.

In the afternoon, Linda Gray (Sue Ellen Ewing on Dallas) was the featured guest. Linda Gray has led an interesting life—being one of the first female TV directors, producing TV, acting in live theater, serving as a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations, and now acting in a recurring role as the crazy American on a British television drama. As a twenty-year-old, she was the leg model for the movie poster of The Graduate where Dustin Hoffman is in the background staring at Mrs. Robinson's legs while she takes off her stockings.

We played trivia this afternoon and had one of the highest scores we've had—just one point below the winners. Then after another wonderful lobster dinner, Philip and I skipped the captain's farewell speech but did go to the production show What the World Needs Now—love songs from the 60s and 70s. I liked watching that performance even better than the earlier shows I had seen after hearing some of the personal stories of the performers.

Word for the Day: Bunhead. A dancer who is trained and performs classical ballet primarily. One of the male dancers agreed that he is a bunhead.

And a Bonus “for the Day” entry … Quotation for the Day: “The road to happiness is always under construction.” That is the title of Linda Gray's memoir, but she did not claim to have made it up. It was suggested by her publisher.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb