Leg 4 - Scorpion a Todos Santos - WE MADE IT!


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hola again amigos y familia!

We LOVE reading your comments and are so happy to hear that you all are enjoying reading our entries. We have a lot of fun writing them 😊 Now, back to our story....

Saturday (20th) - We left the computer and Nicole just had to go surfing. The conditions were perfect for a little learner. This time, she stood up on several waves. Very very fun and exciting! Brian then had to join the fun. Long story short, we stayed another night. Scorpion Bay is just such an awesome place and it was very hard to leave. The fish tacos at the cantina are incredible. And the neighbors were fun. We met Jack, a warm-hearted cab driver from San Diego; Earthquake, an ... um...eccentric... guy from Humbolt; some rich sufer boys who flew in for the day; among other cool peeps. (Anne & Paul, we will definitely go with you two, and bring other interested friends).

Sunday (21th) - The Bay had lake-like conditions, so we packed up Jasper and headed out on the 6-hour drive to Todos Santos, our final stop. The drive went well. We didn´t stop in La Paz, but we could certainly smell it as we approached. Whoa. The temperature difference between the Eastern and Western sides of Baja is incredible - at least 10 degrees. We pulled up at Jim´s place in Todos around 8 and it blew us away. The house is simple but wonderful, with a palapa roof and covered spaces. Thank you so much Jim for your generosity!!!

Monday - Wednesday (22-24th) - We´ve been cruising around the town of Todos Santo and the southern tip of Baja for the past few days. First Todos: this place is great and has made us start dreaming... There is a natural water source and lots of agriculture, including groves of Mangos and fields of lettuce; nothing like the desert areas we drove through. The town itself has art galleries and restaurants. The climate is also amazing, warm but with a slight breeze off of the Pacific (very similar to the beautiful state of HI, if any of you have been there). For all of these reasons, the place is about to totally boom, if it hasn´t already. Grand homes built for gringos are popping up everywhere.

Southern Tip: Jasper made it to the end and it still going!! We drove down to Cabo, San Jose del Cabo (the next town over) and around the East cape, where Brian found another one of his favorite surf breaks - Shipwrecks. Surfing in warm water without a wet suit is heavenly, especially after being used to the Bay Area conditions. He caught an amazing wave, and was barreled for few moments - his first time ever. Of course the video camera´s battery died just before this ride, but Nicole saw the whole thing and can verify it all. So cool.

Well friends, we are going to sign off, probably hit a taco stand and call it a night. We plan to drive down and camp at Shipwrecks tomorrow night, stopping at another good beginner place for Nicole along the way. Aside from a few scrapes (more like bug bites), we are healthy and happy. Hope the same for all of you!! XOXO B&N

PS The idea we were kicking around last time (and of course pending many things) is to pick back up here some point in the future, and drive to Costa Rica! (via El Salvador, and hitting all the amazing surf breaks along the way, of course). Anyone know of someone with land in Costa Rica, where we might be able to leave Jasper for 6-18 months while we plan the next leg? Seriously!

Advertisement



25th May 2006

So exciting
Your adventures sounds like some of my "good ol' olden" days, pre-everything. I'm glad surfing lessons are going well. All's well here in HI - lots of neighbor island traveling. Take care - love you.
25th May 2006

Nirvana at last!
Seems like you have done the mid California Coast to the tip of Baja, safely, surfing your day down! Safely! Enjoy the distination, worked hard to get there! Jasper chugs along! What a beloved, LONG TIME friend! Recall the day we went out to check Jasper out, buy it. How many miles since? Perhaps holding up better than most? Enjoy every moment.......for re-entry won't be easy! Back to the fast lane again with a different perspective! Brian, Nicole, hope you are planning to come to Julie's on Saturday, June 10th for Katie's graduation party. Invitation awaiting at home in the mail. I would like to hitch a ride back to Marin with you. Plan to stay at Betsy's, but do lots of Buena Vista things! In the meantime, keep the travel log's coming! love mom/sonia
26th May 2006

Jasper Americana
surf trip con El Jasper? A Central America? Im in. Thats all I have to say. As for your stories. Sounds awsome guys. Glad to hear you are getting some good waves and enjoying the open road.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb