Leg 3 - Guerro Negro to Scorpion Bay


Advertisement
Published: May 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hola amigos,

The journey continues...

Monday afternoon (15th) - Left Guerro Negro heading for Abreojos, with wishful dreams of a great right break in our future. Since Nicole took so darn long to write the last travelblog entry, we didn't make it all the way down the 50-mile mostly paved road before the darkness and weariness of driving overtook us. We camped 1/2 way to Abreojos, in basically the windiest desert ever. Even with all the windows rolled up, a thin layer of dust and sand covered everything in Jasper within half an hour.

Tuesday (16th) - Getting back on the road, we finnished the trek to Abreojos, a cute fishing town - church, school, stores, small houses w/ satelite dishes, dirt rds...and a salt factory at the tip, and next to that a millitary post sat, where we pulled up to check the waves. Enticing at first, but empty...which seemed odd, considering the surf stickers on some signs around town. The waves broke fast, right on the rocky reefs...dangerous. At the local eatery we learned that the real points were at another point 1/2 mile away. Also many sharp reefy rocks, too small of surf and very very windy (offshore). Hearing a big swell was to arrive Friday (3 days away), we made the difficult decission to leave these soon-to-be-barreling breaks and head to the less windy and infamous Bahia de Concecpion. We thought more than twice about what we left behind (hearing many good things about this spot in books, magazines and from friends), but surely there would be more waves, hopefully just as good, within our game plan ahead.

We left Abreojos and drove East for the first time, heading out to the Sea of Cortes and Bahia de Concepcion. Highway Mex 1 wonderfully heads East after Guerro Negro to Muleje and Laredo. We took a driving tour of Muleje, which is reminicent of a small seaside Italian fishing village, with narrow streets lined with little shops. But it is hot. Very hot and humid as hiznell. We found a small almost empty sandy cove called Plaay Recucion to camp for the night.

Wednesday (17th) - Woke up to a beautiful sunrise at Playa Recucion. Although the sun was strong, we were cool shaded under our own Palapa, with a light breeze off the bay. We took a hour swim from our small sandy beach cove around a small island out into the bay and back to the neighboring sandy beach cove. The water was so warm and crystal clear in places, providing us views of little colorful fishies. We read and read and relaxed and chilled and read and read all day (how many of you have seen Brian's nose burried in a book, body barely moving?!) such good stuff. Had dinner watching a beautiful sunset.

Thursday (18th) - Hit the rd @ crack of dawn (w/ the semitrucks). Everyone said the road east from Mex Hwy 1 to Scorpion Bay via La Purizma was 4WD only, but we thought we'd give her a try...amazing...outa sight. Desolate mtn passes, views, wandering goats, bumpy bumpy roads, Dust and eventually La Purizma! In fact the skechiest drive thus far has been the sand on the rd to Scorpion from La Purizma - something we'd have to drive no matter what way we'd come. But Jasper prevails!

~Friends, Jasper (that's the name of the bus) is holding up great! Nicole has learned to drive her like a pro and Brian rekindling lost romance w/ the vehicle. Her ability and zeal for long road trips appears to be rocking quite steady...in fact, longer term plans are being discussed, ideas are in motion...but we'll wait till we reach our destination of Todos to tell more...~

Friday (19th) - Anyways, Scorpion is a surf traveler's paradise. Amazing setting and the longest rights ever! Beginner & shortboard waves available simultaneously. We got a spot where we can see it all. Probably about 50 (friendly) gringos here, camping @ $7/night, all the necessities, Great Waves!, and a small fishing town nearby. Brian caught the longest ride of his life...300 yards (who's counting), tiring the legs both from the ride and the 12 min walk back. Needles to say, it was extraordinary. And at this beautiful spot, Nicole rode waves on a board for the first time (who wants to go surfing when we get back?!) We met someone who says on large days (probably in July) when the pts connect a friend had caught a wave from between the 3rd and 4th pts and the far inside bay...close to a MILE long ride! We can see why people retun and retun and retun here, and why it's growing. We'll definitely come back here again, hopefully with some of you!

Saturday (20th) Our grand tequilla talk the night before of dawn patrol was quelled by a lack of surf and long sleep in. At the end of this entry, we'll most like hit the waves again, pack up and if Brian can put down his book, we'll head down to Todos Santos, which will be our basecamp from here on out.

Again, we absolutely wish you could all be here with us. Thinking of you all. XOXO B&N

Advertisement



20th May 2006

Fin-ah-lee
i know that it is not easy, but you have to find some way to blog more often. I worry. They had to truck in the Prilosec for my worried stomach. Why doesn't Nicole have her trusty Boogie Board?
21st May 2006

Your trip sounds wonderful
All is well here...eager to see your photos...am very interested in what you both are reading...weather as been alittle of everything hot heat, rain, sun, clouds...Nana is doing OK...Kate and I visited her yesterday...Mabel the tabby cat was sleeping with her on the end of the bed...Lady the Golden Retr...followed us in...nice to have animals visiting...today Kate and I are going back today to bring watermelons, grapes and strawberries and play some Old Maid...she looks fine but saws she is not feeling well and said...sometimes I think I may die...I think she is fearful verses Bumpa embraced his destiny...Jasper sounds like she is holding up well...enjoy your journey and time together...
21st May 2006

scorpion bay
So cool you guys loved Scorpion Bay. Paul and I love it there too!! Fun surf for all levels. We should go back together! Love,Anne
22nd May 2006

Sounds Fantastic!
Hi Nicole and Brian, Phil and I are so glad to read your update - what a great trip you are having! Anytime there is the opportunity to sit and read read read I'm up for it - one of the ultimate relaxing joys - hard to find the time in daily life to do it. The van story was really bizzarre - any ideas what that was all about? It is RAINING if you can believe that. Yes, for 3 days now we have had crazy weather with clouds, rain, cool - rather unusual for May, but the weather of course has been crazy all year. Continue the fun, know you are missed, and return safely to us! m2 and Phil
22nd May 2006

i can comment?!
hi you two! miss you dearly. nicole, you love surfing!. we can surf and play in the waves before you move to la la land. hooray! things are same old same old here. just got back from boston. had to say my farewell's to my grandma. (she passed 6 hours after i said goodbye, but its for the better so don't think its a bad thing). remind yourselves everyday how lucky you are to be healthy and young and happy. much love. take care. -hil
22nd May 2006

Wow, whata adventure!
Dearest Brian and Nicole: Whata adventure you are having.....you travel journal is so facinating! Logging the entire trip so beautifully. Hope things continue to go well......keep the travel journal coming! Have fun and take great care! Love mom/sonia

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb