Leg 2 San Diego to Guerro Negro


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Baja California
May 16th 2006
Published: May 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hola amigos y familia,

We finally made it to Baja - whoo hoo!! Let´s review...

Friday - We crossed the border and Nicole cruised right by the place to buy tourist visas. Oh well. We stopped in the large town of Ensenada and had some delicious tacos. Then we drove down and out to Punta San Jose. What was the first rule of driving in Baja? Something about not driving in Baja? Yea, we ignored that one. We had to to make it to our camping spot.

Saturday - We awoke in Punta San Jose to a very very overcast day, similar to Norther CA. The sun poked out around 2. The location was awesome - 1 hour driving from the nearest town with the ocean crashing up against tall cliffs. Brian went out surfing for most of the day and Nicole cruised around, hiked up a hill, down the coast and back along the beach. We were going to stay another night but decided at the last minute to book it to the next surfing spot - Punta Camalu. Of course, in the dark. Camped right next to the crashing waves.

Sunday - We woke up to a heavily overcast day again. Although the spot where we stopped was cool, there was no surf so we drove down the road to Quatro Casas. The surf was awesome there and Brian surfed with his long board twice. We left to make some headway to Baja Sur. Like good children, we called our moms from the road for mother´s day. So many bonus points for that move. While driving, we witnessed one of the freakiest things either of us had ever seen. Let me begin by saying the roads here are insane (mom, don´t read thist). Two-lane highway, no shoulder, rarely to never any side rails, and monster mack trucks. Back to the story... A van, driving in the opposite direction about 100 meters in front of us, rounded a turn and went off the side of the road and flipped over down the cliff. Absolutely terrifying. The cars in front of the van stopped and the two chicos ran up the enbankment and got into the other cars and they all sped away. They left the van running. Something was up. CSI Baja was on the case. After that incident, we stopped in Rosario and ate dinner at Mama Espinozas (thank you to Anne and Paul for the recommendation) - it was delicious and calmed us down. We drove for another 1.5 hours and pulled over in the desert of Baja, just north of Catavina, to camp.

Monday (today) - We awoke to the sun for the first time in numeros dias. We got up early and thought of all you folks heading to work as we had coffee in the middle of the Baja desert. We drove through the desert for a while, through a beautiful landscape of cactus. Apparently the type of cactus we passed only grows in North Baja. Brian spent 20 minutes filming and taking photos of the cactus, so don´t worry, you will all get to enjoy them too. 😊 We drove to a surf spot named Punta Rosalilito, or The Wall. The surf was non existant, but the area and ocean were gorgeous. The ocean was blue and travelers had built incredible rock shrines and shelters to block the onshore winds. We had lunch there and then continued on down the desert road to Baja Sur. The military stopped us where North meets South, and they thankfully did not ask for our (nonexistant) tourist visas. We are writing from Guerro Negro, the world´s largest producer of salt (I am not kidding, look it up). Tonight we hope to make it to a surf spot named Punta Abreojos, which is supposed to have sick south swells.

Hope you are all well! We are happy and healthy. Wish you could join us 😊 Hasta pronto!

Advertisement



16th May 2006

Hasta la vista
Commander-in-Chief GW Bush just spoke on national TV regarding illegal immigration. He specifically said that American citizens (former) traveling abroad without tourist visas will be forever be banned from returning to the good ol' USA. Guess you will have to be part of the reverse talent drain and try and improve the standard of living in Mexico or wherever you end up. It will probably be ok though since you like tacos so much. Enjoy!
16th May 2006

Hi Brian and Nicole, So glad to hear from you. Crazy roads in Baja huh..., huge trucks travel the road so fast and no room to spare. Glad youi didn't get asked for your Visa, rules and laws change daily in Baja, the locals seem to make up their own. Awesome seeing you two in San Diego. Have a safe and fun journey. Love,Anne
17th May 2006

vaya, vaya, vaya!
Andale andale a la Sur! Arriba arriba, ay yay yay! Disfruta todo, amigos!
17th May 2006

something so right
yes yes yes manifest manifest brother brian, einstein once said "time is relative to what you are doing" and your equation sounds like your right on time with the good vibe... when we live life by the wind we are on time all the time, may the wind be at your backs, the sunshine on your faces and the road rise to meet you, pax vobiscum, mateo

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb