Ferry to White head island


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada
August 7th 2014
Published: August 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day 2 of my trip to Grand Manan Island started with a half hour ferry ride to another nearby island - White Head Island. A very foggy day limiting visibility by the water. Once at the island I visited Gull Cove, a small fishing village. This was followed by a hike to Long Point Lighthouse, at the other end of the island. Returning to Grand Manan in the early afternoon, I drove to the south of the island to see the majestic cliffs. A short hike at the top provided wonderful views of the cliffs and sea below. On my way back to the hotel I stopped at Seal Cove Beach and picked up numerous "mermaid tears" lying on the beach. Mermaid tears, or sea glass, are small pieces of glass found in the world's oceans. When bottles, cups, or other debris are dropped into the water, they often break apart; the pieces are worn down by the tumbling of the waves and sand, eventually forming into smooth, rounded shapes. Many end up on the beach due to the action of the waves. Tomorrow a few more hikes planned including to the "Flocks of Sheep".


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 100; dbt: 0.1006s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb