Ambassador, Ambience - Baie Commeau


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada
October 4th 2023
Published: October 5th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 3rdOctober 2023 Baie-Comeau

Went whale watching last night at 10.30pm as we passed the Saguenay River but saw no Beluga Whales this time!! Also had a quick look on deck this morning but apart from seeing loads of ducks and birds we saw nothing!! Well….unless you count tuna fish!!

Got the shuttle bus into town, actually had a commentary on the bus, explaining that Baie Comeau used to have the Worlds shortest railway and that the town used to be just trees with no-way in or out except by plane or boats!! Passed aa empty marina – the people had taken out the boats, ready for winter!! Really cut off!!

The town consisted of one street with shops either side and a guy singing at the other end of the street. We set off to find the Church……….in totally the wrong direction!! Serves us right for just following the people in front!! Retraced our steps and walked up to the Church of Sainte Amelie. 7CA$ each to get in but was quite amazing!! First we watched a very informative video explaining about all the frescoes and then wandered around the church gazing at them!!There are 5x more frescoes than the Sistine Chapel!!

There wasn’t much else to do then so after having a coffee, looked for some lunch (there wasn’t anything!!) had a beer and after looking at Colonel McCormick tin a canoe (Colonel Robert Rutherford McCormick was a leading American Industrialist and was the owner of the Chicago Tribune and New York Daily News. He was interested in the timber supply along the Manicouagan River for the demand of pulp and Newspaper print, which is whi there is a community at Baie-Comeau!!) then wandered down to Pioneers Park to the waterfront, looked at the small beach ( the tide was coming in!!) It was so peaceful! Wandered back to the ship along the waterfront and saw a huge commotion back by the ship!! There were two hump-back whales (mother and calf!) feeding on the tuna fish!! Amazing sight to see! Also saw minke whale and seals from the ship so all in all, a good day!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb