Up and Over (by Liam)


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon
June 9th 2016
Published: June 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Tanana RiverTanana RiverTanana River

Cole and I stopped at a pullout where an old bridge was pulled out.
Today, we drove to Dawson City. It was an old town that had a lot of old relics and was weird. We went through customs and across a very small, tiny river or stream.

***Mom's note: It was the Yukon River, not tiny or small.***

We went into a small museum that had cool, boring, amazing, weird, freaky objects.

***Mom's note: I asked him to write 100 words. We were in the visitor center about two minutes. The rest of our time in Dawson City was spent eating at Klondike Kate's and wandering the town looking for geocaches. We also went out to Discovery Claim National Historic Site, where the first gold claim in the area was made, as well as to see Dredge #4, the world's largest dredge of this type.***

Just to let you know, we crossed the river in a ferry. The camper door wouldn't open so I climbed through a window to get the camper unstuck. Other than that, I just was bored as we drove around.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

HitchhikerHitchhiker
Hitchhiker

This guy stayed with us a long time.
A Little UncomfortableA Little Uncomfortable
A Little Uncomfortable

There were no guardrails along any portion of the drive. This was one of the uncomfortable moments, although not the most.
Castle RockCastle Rock
Castle Rock

Any guesses how tall it is?
Dawson CityDawson City
Dawson City

I especially liked these buildings. I don't know if they truly are falling like that or if it's all for show.
St. Andrew's ChurchSt. Andrew's Church
St. Andrew's Church

There are signs to keep out, but it had a beautiful cool musty smell coming from near the geocache.
Bonanza CreekBonanza Creek
Bonanza Creek

Gold was discovered here, leading to one of the rushes.
Dredging is Bad!Dredging is Bad!
Dredging is Bad!

Everywhere around Dawson City, we saw evidence of what dredging did to the land. There are piles and piles and piles of gravel everywhere.
Run, Bunny!Run, Bunny!
Run, Bunny!

On our late night drive leaving Dawson City, we saw more hares than we could count. We were trying to come up with a name for the subdivision we were driving through. Jeff thought my idea of Hare Nation was clever.


Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.12s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb