Day 12 - May 24, 2017 Teslin, YT to Beaver Creek, YT Canada


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Beaver Creek City
May 25th 2017
Published: May 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Teslin, YT to Beaver Creek, YT


Awoke to a rather chilly morning in Teslin, Yukon. Skies are clear, however, and no rain is in the forcast, so that's all good. There was only a wifi hotspot on the porch of the general store, so I went up this morning with my coffee, and published yesterday's blog. Sometimes it's a real hassle getting these things out, especially if it's been a long day and internet is not available at the site. Leaving Teslin, we motored up the east side of Teslin Lake, which is quite the sight. It straddles the BC-YT border, and is 86 miles long, over 2 miles across and averages 194 ft deep. Heading north and west, we passed through Johnson's Crossing and Jake's corner on the way to Whitehorse. Jake's corner is the turnoff we took two years ago to head down to Skagway, so until we pass Haines Jct., this will be all new road to us. The views up here are indescribable. Rugged mountain ranges are constantly in view, with their white capped tops and deep ravines that are packed with snow, making them look like white rivers snaking down the mountain. Sandy never stopped clicking pictures through the windshield. We ran across two wolves hurrying down the road's shoulder, with the lead one carrying something dead in it's mouth. Very special sight.

We passed by Marsh Lake heading into Whitehorse. This is a very beautiful lake, and popular summer spot for the residents of Whitehorse. The water levels on some of the lakes here appear to be rather low, almost like they've not had enough rain or winter melt, odd since BC has had more than their share. We crossed over the Yukon river entering Whitehorse, and parked the rigs at the visitor's center in the middle of town. The Yukon river is the 4th or 5th longest river in North America, measuring 2,000 miles.

Whitehorse is the largest city in the Yukon, and 75% of the Yukon's residents live here. We picked up some information and the visitor's center, took a walk downtown, visiting some of the shops, and then stopped at a rather small Walmart to pick up some things, and have lunch in their parking lot.

Heading north again, with no firm destination in mind, the scenery is once again spectacular. After the Champagne Bypass, we get our first glimpse of the Kluane Range, and pass by Cracker Creek. Old Man Mountain is there, and is supposed to look like an old man, but we couldn't muster up enough imagination to see it. We stopped for a stretch and a kodak moment at the Canyon Creek Bridge. This bridge was first built in 1903 during a gold rush, and rebuilt in 1942 by the Army in just 18 days. We should have those folks working on our Rte 93 widening project in NH. The bridge is very primitive and traverses a swift running Canyon Creek.

We passed through Haines Junction, and it was like being in a postcard. Beautiful country. Heading north toward Destruction Bay, our maybe destination, we passed along the shores of the Kluane lake, which is pretty much still frozen solid. Very pretty blue in the open water sections. Between 300-400 years ago, the Kaskawulsh Glacier advanced in this area and caused the water flow, to reverse itself. Instead of traveling 140 miles south to the Pacific, it now takes a journey 10 times longer to the Bering sea. This was the site of a short lived gold rush in the 1900's. Just up the road, we spotted our first Grizzly, feeding in the tree line near the road. After a quick stop at Destruction Bay to look, and then reject the RV site, we gassed up and headed north again.

It feels like we are the only vehicles on this road. There are long periods of time where we see absolutely no traffic. For the most part, the highway is in good shape, although there there seems to be more construction this time through than I recall from the previous trip. There also were many frost heaves in the road. We made a quick stop at Discovery Yukon RV park and although it was quite clean and the owner very friendly, it had lousy Wifi, and no cell phone coverage, so we decided to press on for another 30 miles to Beaver Creek Campground. We had stopped here for lunch two years ago, at Buckshot Betty's and recalled the food being quite good. The RV park is quite adequate and has great wifi.

Had apps and vino at the picnic table, as the weather is quite mild, then went over for dinner to Betty's. The food was good, and the ladies were very happy we weren't eating in tonight, as everyone was pretty tired from the long run up.



Miles - 389

Total miles - 3588

Wildlife sightings - 1 grizzly bear, 2 wolves


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement







Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb