The Substance of Adventurous Travel


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Saskatchewan » Regina
January 10th 2014
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

C H A R A C T E RC H A R A C T E RC H A R A C T E R

"The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it. Skilled pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests."
Adventurous travel is not easy. If it were, it wouldn't be an adventure, it would be a vacation. We'd like to believe that we are adventurers and problem solvers, not vacationers. What we seek in travel is to meet people from other cultures; to develop more understanding, patience, and compassion; to better appreciate the many choices we have had in our lives; and to continually seek ways to somehow give back. Along the way, we have the privilege of seeing sights and sharing experiences that most people only dream of, as we are, after all, dreamchasers. It is exciting, it is amazing, and it is humbling, but it is not always easy.

I will admit I have become complacent in the last few months - relishing for the first time in as long as I can remember the pleasure of having total control of my day - because I have not had to get up and go to work. It has been wonderful, and I have totally enjoyed the experience. But all things come to an end: and I welcome again - albeit with a little trepidation - the challenge of adventure that lies just around the corner.

Our first stop will be Bangkok, Thailand, where we have been before on many occasions, but never before have we arrived in the midst of massive anti-government protests that are taking place just a few blocks away from where we stay. This adventure will kick off on a definite note of excitement, fuelled by political tensions that will surely be interesting to observe. It will likely be more difficult to find the smiles amidst all the tension, but finding them in gruelling situations will be that much more rewarding. All of which makes the exhausting preparation, the ongoing planning, the uncertainties, the risks, the expenses and the subsequent sacrifices worthwhile. So Asia here we come, with open hearts and hopefully still strong enough bodies to carry those backpacks around again.

Advertisement



4th March 2014

Bev and Stan,It was inspiring to see you at the Regina airport as you headed out on your adventure. You may recall that I was headed to El Salvador on a Habitat for Humanity build, and it was a tremendous experience. I will follow your b
log, and hopefully your lead, with great interest. Savour every minute!

Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb