Canada 2023 part IV - Sherbrooke


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Sherbrooke
July 25th 2023
Published: January 19th 2024
Edit Blog Post

 St. Bernard on a leash St. Bernard on a leash St. Bernard on a leash

In one of the paintings a child holds a large dog, a St. Bernard, on a leash. The dog really looks three dimensional.

Wall art en masse





When you are viewing this blog entry we can strongly recommend that you click on the photos to enlarge them. The pictures come out a lot better when they are enlarged than they do when viewed in the size they appear in the blog.



On our way back to Montreal we stopped for a few hours in the city Sherbrooke. We went there to see Trompe-l'œil art because we had heard that they have plenty of such artworks throughout the city.



I let Wikipedia explain what Trompe-l'œil art is: "Trompe-l'œil is an artistic term for the highly realistic optical illusion of three-dimensional space and objects on a two-dimensional surface. Trompe l'œil, which is most often associated with painting, tricks the viewer into perceiving painted objects or spaces as real. Forced perspective is a related illusion in architecture."



The artworks in Sherbrooke are all created by talented artists and are displayed on various buildings in the city. We think that the art has been commissioned by the City of Sherbrooke to make the city a bit more interesting and colourful and to make tourists come and
Trompe-l'œil artTrompe-l'œil artTrompe-l'œil art

On our way back to Montreal we stopped for a few hours in the city Sherbrooke. We went there to see Trompe-l'œil art because we had heard that they have plenty of such artworks throughout the city.
visit. Well, if it is so it worked excellently on us. We are tourists and we would never have come up with the idea of stopping in Sherbrooke if they had not had these paintings.



The term trompe-l'œil means 'deceive the eye'. In some of the artworks in Sherbrooke the artist succeeded well with this. In one of the paintings there is a bus station. When we saw it in real life there was no doubt that it is a painting. But when viewing the photo on a computer screen it almost feels like it could be possible to walk into the painting. That painting is Ake's favourite.



One painting was created on a wall in a park. Features in the park are used to create and enhance the illusion of a dusty road leading away from the viewer and into the painting.



In some of the paintings real people, many of them more or less famous people from Sherbrooke, have been used as inspiration to the paintings. Often these people can also be seen in the pictures. We did not recognise any of those people, but we guess Canadians often
Is it possible to walk into the painting?Is it possible to walk into the painting?Is it possible to walk into the painting?

In one of the paintings there is a bus station. When viewing the photo on a computer screen it almost feels like it could be possible to walk into the painting. That painting is Ake's favourite.
can.



In one of the paintings a child holds a large dog, a St. Bernard, on a leash. The dog really looks three dimensional. In another there is a cat sitting on a bench. The cat is so cute. In a third painting there is a small girl and a lamb. The lamb looks quite real actually.



Most of the paintings are supersized, often covering much or all of one wall of a building. But in most of the paintings there are many tiny details that can be seen only if you look carefully. Near each artwork there is a sign explaining the theme of the picture and pointing out interesting or notable features that can be seen in the paintings if you look carefully. So you don't have to look through the entire paintings to find these small details. They are mentioned on the signs.



By the way, if there are people reading this who are better at classifying art than we are then we have a question for you: Is the correct term for this kind of art "fresco"?


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Illusion of a dusty road leading into the painting.Illusion of a dusty road leading into the painting.
Illusion of a dusty road leading into the painting.

One painting was created on a wall in a park. Features in the park are used to create and enhance the illusion of a dusty road leading away from the viewer and into the painting.
Optical illusionOptical illusion
Optical illusion

Trompe-l'œil is an artistic term for the highly realistic optical illusion of three-dimensional space and objects on a two-dimensional surface.
Tilted wallTilted wall
Tilted wall

The painting makes the dull wall look like it has a portal into another world
The lamb almost looks realThe lamb almost looks real
The lamb almost looks real

Trompe l'œil tricks the viewer into perceiving painted objects or spaces as real.
Artworks created by talented artistsArtworks created by talented artists
Artworks created by talented artists

The artworks in Sherbrooke are all created by talented artists and are displayed on various buildings in the city.
Commissioned by the City of SherbrookeCommissioned by the City of Sherbrooke
Commissioned by the City of Sherbrooke

We think that the art has been commissioned by the City of Sherbrooke to make the city a bit more interesting and colourful and to make tourists come and visit.
The cat is cuteThe cat is cute
The cat is cute

In this painting there is a cat sitting on a bench. The cat is so cute
Fire stationFire station
Fire station

The wall of this building is made to look like there is a fire station there
BookshelfBookshelf
Bookshelf

Supersized bookshelf with books larger than humans
20230725_12504920230725_125049
20230725_125049

We think the City of Sherbrooke commissioned the art to make tourists come and visit. It works. We are tourists and we would never have come up with the idea of stopping in Sherbrooke if they had not had these paintings.
Deceive the eyeDeceive the eye
Deceive the eye

The term trompe-l'œil means 'deceive the eye'. Sometimes it really does fool the eye
Is it a fresco?Is it a fresco?
Is it a fresco?

Is the correct term for this kind of art "fresco"?
Stepping out of the pictureStepping out of the picture
Stepping out of the picture

It really looks like the left foot of the athlete comes out of the picture
Real people have been used as inspirationReal people have been used as inspiration
Real people have been used as inspiration

In some of the paintings real people, many of them more or less famous people from Sherbrooke, have been used as inspiration to the paintings.
Supersized paintingSupersized painting
Supersized painting

Most of the paintings are supersized, often covering much or all of one wall of a building.
Tiny detailTiny detail
Tiny detail

In most of the paintings there are many tiny details that can be seen only if you look carefully
Each artwork has a sign explaining itEach artwork has a sign explaining it
Each artwork has a sign explaining it

Near each artwork there is a sign explaining the theme of the picture and pointing out interesting or notable features that can be seen in the paintings if you look carefully.
Smaller paintingSmaller painting
Smaller painting

Not all of the paintings are supersized
The wall is flatThe wall is flat
The wall is flat

The wall this is painted on is a flat surface. There is no gap in the wall and there are no windows or balconies.
Different kind of artworkDifferent kind of artwork
Different kind of artwork

We had to include this duck just because it makes us happy


20th January 2024
Stepping out of the picture

Trompe-l'œil art of Sherbrooke
Your blog makes Sherbrooke a must-see I must say, Ake. Wall Art or Murals around the World come in all shapes from the untalented to the majestic. Sherbrooke has presented the magnificent and hats off to the foresight of their municipal authorities in making sure it is so. Wonderful that none of your images appear to be defaced by graffiti. A worthy addition to TB's "Wall Art or Graffiti" thread in the Photography Forum. Check 'em out.
22nd January 2024
Stepping out of the picture

Again thanks for the Forum update
...and once more I have to thank you for adding my pictures to the photography forum. Glad you enjoyed the blog. /Ake
21st January 2024

We love street art
You found a marvelous collection of street art. I'm always amazed because I would think it is much harder to create on these surfaces and on such large canvass.
22nd January 2024

It was worth the detour
To go to Sherbrooke we had to make a bit of a detour. It was totally worth it. It was really great fun to walk around and see all the street art./ Ake
21st January 2024

Great stuff!
25th January 2024
The wall is flat

Oh wow!
What a good find Ake. I love these 3D murals - they are excellent. I agree that the bus one looks extremely realistic, and I had to keep telling my brain there wasn't a gap in the buildings in this one. I think the effect works best on buildings, nature and skies, and I wish they'd been able to extend the painting to cover the gutter / top of the building. My favourite is the one made to look like the building is curtains pushed back to reveal a scene... a nice surreal touch, and they cleverly used the gutter as the curtain rod :)
26th January 2024
The wall is flat

Very well made
The murals were very well made and were better IRL than on picture of course. Glad to hear that you enjoyed watching our photos from this little gem. /Ake
25th January 2024
Is it a fresco?

My favourite
To answer your question, in my understanding (from when I was dragged around Italy as a child and made to look at religious art), it's a fresco if the painting is done on fresh wet plaster. So essentially the painting becomes part of the fabric of the building rather than being something added on top. I'm sure there are other technical explanations, but that's about the extent of my knowledge :)
26th January 2024
Is it a fresco?

Thanks for the information
Thank you for explaining. /Ake
3rd February 2024

Wall Art
I can imagine you were very much in your element in Sherbrooke, Ake. I remember you like street art, and the Trompe L'oiel style looks so unique and impressive. I think I would have visited Sherbrooke too! Yay, the duck at the end made me happy too! ☺️
13th February 2024

Loved Sherbrooke
We both loved Sherbrooke. It was a perfect place to break a journey on our road trip. /Ake

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 20; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb