Quebec & The FREEZING Montmorency Falls...


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Québec City
March 15th 2009
Published: March 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Huge mound of snow in front of the fallsHuge mound of snow in front of the fallsHuge mound of snow in front of the falls

Those daring enough were sledging from the top of this!
Hello once again,

We left Tremblant National Park a few days ago and drove about five hours to Quebec City. The drive was fairly easy, despite all the road signs being in French - pretty much one long straight road for most of it. We have struggled a little bit with the language here, its much more French than we expected and many people we have needed to speak to only speak very limited English. Just to complicate things further, Jax speaks a bit of French and they don’t seem to understand her either - must be someting to do with our accents!

We are staying in a great place a short way from the city centre itself with something for each of us in the room: plenty of electrical gadgets for Chris, lots of buttons for James to push, and a Jacuzzi in the room for Jax (so we re all quite happy and relaxed!).

Yesterday we took a drive a few miles out of town to the Montmorency waterfalls - these are actually higher than the Niagra falls but apparently not nearly as spectacular. As we arrived in the car park and visitor centre, we were a little surprised at how quiet it was for such a big tourist attraction, and then worked out that the lake and half the waterfalls are frozen at this time of year, and, as expected, it is VERY cold and exposed.

As it happened the frozen lake turned out to be the best we have seen so far - you can walk across it right to the base of the waterfalls, so actually get much closer than you would be able to out of the winter (this bit was not very baby & pushchair friendly so Chris explored this one alone). The sights (and sheer sound) were amazing (see photos), although it is difficult to describe just how cold it felt!

We spent the best part of a day exploring Quebec City on foot, which was great fun - the city is surprisingly small and easy to walk round in just a short while. We won’t bore you with all the history of the city (there’s lots), but suffice to say that it’s a very likeable picturesque place, draped in history with some very old buildings (by North American standards that is!). The whole area has a noticeably local and friendly atmosphere.

Once again were packing up and moving on now - James is really enjoying all the travelling as we expected, and he’s actually happier when were on the move rather than staying in the same place.

Hope you are all well, looking forward to catching up with you all in a couple of weeks.

Regards

J C J

xxx



Quebec City….



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Chris at the wall to Quebec Old TownChris at the wall to Quebec Old Town
Chris at the wall to Quebec Old Town

(With heaps of snow that we ve now got used too!)
In the old townIn the old town
In the old town

one of the ways to get around
mouching round the old townmouching round the old town
mouching round the old town

a typical quaint building


16th March 2009

hello
hello Jackie, Chris and James, you look as if you are having a very good holiday look after yourselves, see you soon. love nanny

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0994s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb