Keeping it real in Montreal...


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Montréal
March 18th 2009
Published: March 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello

Jax drove us from Quebec City down to Montreal on Monday, and as usual, James slept all the way with no problem. We’ve been really impressed with Montreal; in fact it’s probably our favourite city so far.

We’re staying in a wonderful hotel right in the heart of the old town. As we arrived and checked in, James struck up an instant rapport with the woman on the desk who couldn’t stop saying how lovely he was. Fortunately for all of us, this promptly led to an upgrade to the best suite so that James could have his own room……so now the lucky little eight month old has his own bedroom, walk in wardrobe and bathroom! (who said travelling with a baby was tough?) Our hotel lays on a cheese and wine reception each night which we've made a point of going to.

The temperature has noticeably risen, with it now being well over the freezing point and consistantly into the ‘pluses’ for the first time since we've been in Canada. We’re still lucky with the weather with bright sun and blue skies everyday. There's also a lack of snow compared to what we've become used to
Part of the skyline at nightPart of the skyline at nightPart of the skyline at night

From the Saint-Laurent Pier
- there are a few heaps left on the side of the roads and in the parks, but no snow covered or icey pavements here. Canadians have all been so friendly, especially to James, and Montreal has been no exception - we spent last night in the Chinese quarter and had the whole family of the Chinese restaurant amusing James while we tucked into our dinner.

As a treat on Tuesday, we decided to take an afternoon tour of Montreal Old Town by horse and carriage. Coincidently (and rather amusingly) our horse was called ‘Jackie’. James loved the ride and was laughing and smiling the whole way round. At the end of the tour, James met Jackie (the horse), had some photos and even had a quick sit on her.

After the horse ride, we took a tour of the Basilique Notre-Dame - a famous catherdral, not least as it is where Celine Dion got married (as we keep being told). The inside was stunning, and regardless of whether touring cathedrals is your thing or not, it was well worth a look!

We will be quite sad to leave Montreal as we've all loved it so much. It's the perfect mix of citylife and quiet historical quarters with lots of history. There's loads to see and do, and we'd love to stay longer or visit again sometime.

Anyway, must dash, we'll update again when we move on.

Hope you are all well

Regards

C J J







Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

The City skyline from the Pont ChamplainThe City skyline from the Pont Champlain
The City skyline from the Pont Champlain

(Taken from the car window on the way in)


Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.159s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb