Quirky Quebec


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Montréal
August 16th 2005
Published: August 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

"Welcome to Quebec, the Nation's Capital" read the sign from the bus. Well this was news to us; here we were thinking Ottawa was the nation's capital. It turns out that the Quebecoise don't like being a part of Canada much. You can kind of understand the logic behind this though. Journeying through the province of Quebec would be the equivalent to stepping onto a plane and travelling to France, but much cheaper. Montreal and Quebec are amazing cities, so if they choose to cross out the 'Canada' on 'Canada Post', let them we say.

Montreal


The downtown area is split into two halves: 'Ye Olde Towne' and 'Ye Neked Dancing Girly Towne'. Both had their merits we suppose, but the Olde Towne offered us a bit more.

Dave learnt the hard way that rollerblading should be left to the professionals after Nicola talked him into trading his dignity for sore ankles and some hair rasing moments.
We also spent a few good hours walking down the cobbled streets of the Old Town, buying ice creams from the gelatis, beer from the cafes, and gawking at the art on sale and the street buskers.

Quebec City


We were delighted to discover Quebec is a whole city similar to the Old Town in Montreal. To top this, it's also the only fortified city in North America and has a citadel that is currently used as a military base. Surprisingly enough we did a little more browsing, drinking beer and coffee, and watching street performers.

A side note. Horse tours of the city: romantic? No. Definately not. They stink. Let's leave them in the fields munching on grass where they belong.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



19th August 2005

snails....
Eeeeew, Nic, you ate snails!! All looks amazing aside from that tho! Miss you so much - get home soon please!! Cxxx
24th August 2005

Go to the basement nightclubs!
Great shots of Old Quebec city. Brings back great memories of when I was there. You must try one of the basement nightclubs, with a live french band playing. Ordering beer is difficult but the ladies look great!
4th September 2005

when you come around again
hey bud sorry i missed you coming through alberta, dillon did not tell me you were in canada till you were already gone through calgary. anyways if you ever make it back this way let me know, i'll have beer waiting in the fridge. email me sometime dave at ttdmbelisle@hotmail.com anyways have a good voyage

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb