Leg 3, Blog 4


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Gatineau
October 1st 2009
Published: October 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

These are some photos of downtown Ottawa. If you don’t already know (and I didn’t), Ottawa, Ontario, is the capital of Canada and just across the Ottawa River from the province of Quebec. All the people are bilingual, as you might imagine. Some have a French accent; some don’t. There’s also a mix of other cultures - people from the mid East and Asia and other parts of the world. Very cosmopolitan.

Some years ago Bob and I drove along part of the Rideau Canal and used our kayaks on a portion, going through at least four locks - twice - as we went from one small town to another and back. Sometimes we had to get out of the kayaks to get the attention of the lock keeper as he wouldn’t see us in our little boats. This time we had the chance to see the head of the Canal, the eight step locks right below the Parliament Building and next to the Ottawa River which the Canal empties into. We were told that it takes a vessel over an hour and a half to go from the first lock to the River.

By the way, if you’re thinking we’re having too much fun:
• I’m on my second day of mild stomach flu, not fun.
• It’s rained every day since we drove into Canada a week ago; it still is today.
• It was freezing this morning and now, around lunchtime, it’s still in the 30’s.
• This is our fourth day in a campground without electricity. However, Bob keeps the camper warm with propane gas and by charging our three big batteries with a small generator. Also, since the camper was made in Canada, it’s well insulated.

Other than all that, Mrs. Lincoln, we’re having a great time. Yesterday we took a three hour steam train ride. The day before we saw the Canadian Museum of Civilization, the most visited museum in all of Canada and really magnificent. And the leaves are gorgeous.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0834s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb