Leg 2, Blog 5


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Gatineau
October 3rd 2009
Published: October 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Saturday AM -
We’re experiencing a small hiccup in our usually glorious camping experience. We’ve had 7 days of rain now, although we had about 3 hours of sunshine yesterday and today a bit warmer than yesterday, which was freezing. I’m still dealing with my stomach issue and Bob has a bad cold. To top it off, we have a mouse or two running around inside our cabinets driving the cats berserk and shredding our toilet paper rolls to build a nest. I reached in the cabinet under the bathroom sink yesterday and came out with what looked like a large fluffy bouquet of finely shredded toilet paper and then found the nest she’s constructed. We bought two humane mouse traps last night and put them out, but this AM they’re sprung and no mousie. This explains why Becky, the-cat-that-gets-into-everything, has been clawing frantically at all the cabinet doors over the past few days. Ah, well.
The photos I’m sending are of the Mackenzie-King Estate, which is located in this huge Gatineau Park where we’ve been staying for the past week. Mackenzie-King was elected Prime Minister of Canada in 1921 and remained Prime Minister for close to 22 years, Canada’s record for longevity. He also became Canada’s first citizen in 1947 when Canada gained its independence from England.
King built the first modest buildings in 1903 and then later moved his residence to nearby Kingsmere Park, still quite modest, using the original buildings for guests. The “ruins” he brought in and set up to look like an ancient building. When he died in 1950, he willed his property to the country.
The other photos are from yesterday’s drive 100 miles north in this Gatineau Valley. Under the covered bridge is a log chute. There are also photos of an old saw mill and an interpretation center for white tailed baby deer who are cared for because their mothers have been killed. These little guys will be released to freedom in mid-November.
Later I’ll be sending photos from Canada’s Museum of Civilization and our train ride.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0806s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb