Goodbye P.E.I.


Advertisement
Published: June 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

June 13, Route 4 and last of Coastal Shore Trail

Drove from Campbell's Cove to Northumberland Provincial Park during the day. Stopped in Montague, a pretty little town, for breakfast and Wi-Fi access at MacDonald's ...they had one Mac, three traffic lights, a KFC, an Atlantic Superstore, a big Home Hardware, Tim Horton’s, very nice housesand and no RBC Branch. Butter and lemons were bought at the Superstore in preparation for the evening’s dinner of flounder, mashed potato from Idaho and left over chickpea salad.

Spotted Carmel and Patrick in their Melbourne RV while I stopped take a shot of a very picturesque yellow house. I followed them but at one point the call of nature was too great. By pulling into an Esso station, using their facilities, buying a double scoop ice cream (will not mention the Dorito Nachos) and watching a man fill his pleasure craft with 320 liters of gasoline, the Melbourne became lost on the never ending Coastal Road to the gulf shore.

Having arrived at Northumberland Park it was discovered with great surprise that the Melbourne was the only other vehicle occupying a site that night.

Not passing the RV I stopped
Antigonish PharmacyAntigonish PharmacyAntigonish Pharmacy

Found lovely murals in Antigonish...on the way to ferry ... while looking for an RBC branch ... finally phoned my home branch and spoke to a man from Moncton.
to say hello. We three shared a cup of tea and some pleasant chatter. I implored Carmel to please take the scallop gift from the night before.

The flounder was drenched in butter. Hunger forced a quicker meal than mashed potatoes would afford. The flounder, the chickpeas and some cold coffee made for a satisfying repast.

The shower in the bathroom under renovation was pure heaven. Lots of hot water, lots of space and being the sole occupant of the premises made possible water therapy to my heart’s content. This was very important after suffering the handheld shower apparatus at the campground. In hindsight that shower, although clean and hot, and the decrepit laundry machines can be said to be the sole drawbacks of the past/last five days on P.E.I.

Spoke a second time with my sister. Thank goodness for Canada wide texting and long distance. Did some blogging and with the patter of raindrops fell into an interrupted sleep … was listening to important news reports. Finally had to shut the news about Orlando OFF.

June 14, the Wood Land Ferry and Beyond

Left the park at 07:30. Likkity split the ferry wharf was reached. My boiled eggs and horrible light rye bread were breakfast in the Terminal Cafeteria. The coffee here was worse than BAD.

Downloaded pics for last night’s blog entry and was able to publish just before the call to wo/man your vehicles was made. Five lumber trucks waited in queue, plus a tour bus, a railroad container, uncounted vans and numerous cars.

Rain rain rain

Drive all day and finally arrive late at campsite. Drove on Trans-Canada Highway ... that did not make the task easier. Saw nothing. Stopped at Antigonish. That is where I found the hidden RBC and the Pharmacy Mural.

It was a very long day and the 200km./day was surpassed ... felt like 500km.

SO MUCH DRIVING – according to my odometer the drive equalled 243 km. …slow speed …many SHARP curves … numerous stops for good shots …continuous driving into the unknown …not much traffic on the road ... Smokey Mountain not properly viewed, all the views are behind me on the left … fog in many places, one so bad that emergency blinkers were used.

Look for Broad Cove Campsite. Because it is after six the parks Info
 Transporting Logs Transporting Logs Transporting Logs

Eight logging trucks, just as many transports, three busses, RV's in alll sizes, numerous vans, and more cars than all other vehicles rolled into the jaws of the Woodland Island Ferry to travel from P.E.I. to Caribou N.S. in seventy-five minutes.
is closed. The office at entrance is closed. No one is answering the phone. The sign on the highway states, “You are leaving the Park”. PANIC. Where is the camp ground? Return to info … no phone … park and look intently at map. See that there is a break in the park on the map making way for a small town – Ingonish.

OK. Drive again. Enter park at the sign. All shuttered and closed. Proceed. Big number 65 has gate across road. That’s my site number. Return to entrance gate. Two women in blue car sit undecided. They have already been at their site. I follow them and find #65. Tankbetogot!

Cape Breton is amazing and the Cabot Trail more than I bargained for ... there is no crossing the Cape Breton Highlands Park ... it’s a merry go around ... all the way around or double back ... no cross cuts. A change in campgrounds has been necessary. Broad Cape is really beyond the beyond ... but OMG so BEAUTIFUL ... if you can see thru the mist, fog drizzle and/or rain.

ELECTRICITY FLOWING. Heat up and eat left overs. Eat under umbrella. Shower is fantastic - hot and clean! Hang cloths over all three sides of van. Eight sites occupied here and campers are strolling about. Over the front window hang towel and kitchen cloth from sunshades, to dry.

…blog, a bit …read, a bit …. fall asleep with big light blazing and reading glasses on nose.

AM BUSHED … NO WIFI… NO PHONE …. VERY DARK OUTSIDE

… ten the next morning … still no sun!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The Best Ice Cream?The Best Ice Cream?
The Best Ice Cream?

Only available in Charlottetown and at two locations in China the ice cream was not being served during this crossing ... the sign said so ... signs signs everywhere the signs....
Is the Captain Italian?Is the Captain Italian?
Is the Captain Italian?

Are we too close to shore? Life jackets were also available ...somewhere on the boat.
Canso CausewayCanso Causeway
Canso Causeway

The Causeway connected Cape Breton to the Mainland of N.S. in 1953.
Steel SculptorSteel Sculptor
Steel Sculptor

Many craft and artisan shops were seen along the route. It is impossible to stop at alll ... inveriably a treasure will be found money will be spent and space in the overladen van will suffer one more jab and push and twist.
Georgia Pacific Gypsum MineGeorgia Pacific Gypsum Mine
Georgia Pacific Gypsum Mine

THe distortion of the terrain scarcely visible behind a curtain of pine trees planted along the road. Numerous sites can be found in Cape Breton.
This Is It! Cabot Trail - Natures MasterpieceThis Is It! Cabot Trail - Natures Masterpiece
This Is It! Cabot Trail - Natures Masterpiece

Actually the road builders are to be lauded. "A great drive" is an nunderstatement. It is so big! A month would be a good time frame to explore this trail and all trails leading off it.
The Bean BarnThe Bean Barn
The Bean Barn

Homemade chowder turned out to taste delicious. Used the Wi-Fi here to book new campground. Forgot about a visit to Alex Bell and Loiusburg. Will stay two nights within driving distance of both.
Eating in Heavy RainEating in Heavy Rain
Eating in Heavy Rain

The blue canopy had to be strung so that I could preparations and eating could be accomplished in the rain. It will just not give up ... enough already ... the potatoe sare floating in the fields.
Miles and CholetaMiles and Choleta
Miles and Choleta

Miles, with the help of Choleta, will take over the task of blogging. He desires more than co-pilot responsibilities. His tenure begins June 19th, 2016. Good Luck Miles!


Tot: 0.504s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb