Salmon, Fly Fishing, and Alexander Graham Bell


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia
June 17th 2016
Published: June 19th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Flora's Gift ShopFlora's Gift ShopFlora's Gift Shop

... if she doesn't have it ....it does not exist.
June 17, Friday Margree and Baddeck

Left Cheticamp. Said good-bye to Carmel and Patrick. Carmel and I exchanged books. Both the evening before and again this morning we all had time for a cup of tea and a good chat. The discussion was about the flooding in Northern BC where two of their children live. The news about this situation was only heard by me on the radio Saturday morning.

It was so pleasant running into them again …for the third time. They are heading north on the Cabot Trail and I am aiming for Big Bras d’Or and the Mountain Vista Campground where the proprietor is more concerned in filling his boat with passengers to go see Puffins. The Cottages and campsites are owner on his list … his brochure does not even mention camping.

On the outskirts of Cheticamp Flora’s Gift Shop had to be visited. Flora was no longer at the till but her daughter now is buyer and head salesperson. Husband is in charge of advertising. His work has paid off … I stopped and spent a pretty penny.

A local hooker demonstrates her art. She is using two ply wool some of
Taught BurlapTaught BurlapTaught Burlap

...great demo ....makes me want to be a Hooker.
which she specially dyes. She uses a locally made hook so I bought one thinking of the stash of wool have at home. Her frame keeps the burlap very taught. Free hand she draws her designs. While working she has the patience to answer all the questions posed by interested customers. I bought a small example of her work. The over $100 pieces were out of my budget range.

Next stop … the Margaree. Steve Andrews writes,” As a fly fisherman it’s almost impossible to become involved in this sport and not be aware of the vast history and tradition that surrounds fly fishing & fly tying, this is just one of the many reasons I cannot leave the Margaree without at least stopping into the Salmon Museum for a quick look.”

Nothing prepared me for what I found at this little museum that has been here for 40 years. Go to http://www.margareens.com/margaree_salmon.html . Here at the museum is presented an amazing video about Atlantic salmon spawning. They do not die after spawning like the BC salmon but have the ability to return to salt water after swimming upstream. A female lays 800 eggs per pound of her
  Tied Flies Too  Tied Flies Too Tied Flies Too

...it was a wondrous placefor fly fishing enthusiasts ... isn't there a movie about fly fishing?
weight. Of 8000 eggs only two make it to the sea. Along the Margaree River sportsmen/women come flying fishing using the catch and release method. For this specially tied flies without barbed hooks are used.

This little museum is FULL of leather wallets/books/ holders for flies, fly fishing rods, old woven creels (baskets for fish), waders, trophies, pictures of famous people who have come to the Margaree and private collections donated by people whose relatives were heavy into fly fishing. The lady in charge was most interesting and she did not give herself any airs. Turns out she is the curator and has been here for the 40 years of operation. Because I was one of three people in the place …the other two were young men interested in fishing … she shared a lot of information about the characters in the pictures and the importance of many objects.

It was quite the visit and an extremely pleasant surprise ….especially the salmon video!



On to Baddeck and Alexander Graham Bell. Who knew he was so interested in flying? And that his wife Mabel financed his forays into experimental flight?

Where he lived and worked
In the Regalia of an ExpertIn the Regalia of an ExpertIn the Regalia of an Expert

Creel, rod and waders.
while in Baddeck is not open to the public because family still live there. The museum, a Parks Canada Site, is well laid out and full of interesting fact. A replica of the hydrofoil A.G. Bell developed with others is on display along with one of his flying machines.

I had parked at the info centre. Walked to lunch and had the most expensive plate of noodles ever at Wong’s, with no Chinese chef or chop sticks in sight. It was $14.89 for ‘spicy’ noodles, a favourite of the locals on a salad plate that had to be helped with hot sauce which was really tomato with a few chillies. The ‘favourite of the locals’ should have set off the warning bells … no pun intended. Dropped in and spoke to the lady in the antique shop who gets things sent in trunks from the UK and then continued on thru the town to the Bell Museum.

The walk back I made across the top of the town seeing community gardens along the way and also a Home Hardware that used the roof of the building as storage for outdoor items.

Before going to the CO-OP for
Wong's in BaddeckWong's in BaddeckWong's in Baddeck

....since 1962 ... but the man cannot find a Chinese chef .... Better address the sie of his plates and presentation while he is at it!
groceries to be eaten for tonight’s dinner a quick stop was made at the local Baadeck Yarn Shop.

A woman at the Bell Museum was knitting ….it was such a busy day … and she showed me a tube into which double ended needles fit so that the knitting is kept out of danger of falling off the needles. Not that such a problem presents itself during my knitting but it is a good idea so I went to check out the shop. Tried very hard with great success not to buy any wool!

A Redhawk by Jayco = $84,676 ... http://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2015-redhawk/was parked beside me this night. Three adults and a two year old ... German speaking but keeping to themselves even though I did speak to the grandmother in German ... Oh well ....addressed my paper tiger and disposed of unnecessary pamphlets ... cooked ... ate ...showered ... now am happy as a bug in a rug ... hooked ones of course ... we are in the Maritimes!

Am comfy cosy in my Dodge Caravan...yesterday had to cook on the step in the back because of electrical difficulties ...it worked and the van still smells of last night's dinner. LOL

Spent the day in Baddeck ... nice place ... Alexander Graham Bells chose this place for his Canadian living and flight testing.

The drive to the Mountain Vista Campground was uneventful and a bit b-o-r-i-n-g along the Tran - Canada Highway but it was the only way to cover the distance in a shorter time. I had wandered around Baddeck until five in the afternoon.

Fighting off blackflies I cooked a small meal with the provisions bought at the CO-OP … again I could find no real bread. Am rationing my three last slices of sunflower rye.

Worked on my blog until suddenly the Wi-Fi died … I think they shut off the router in the night … hey its possible!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Alexander Wanted to FlyAlexander Wanted to Fly
Alexander Wanted to Fly

...Mabel went up in the plane but he never did.
Guarding the MuseumGuarding the Museum
Guarding the Museum

... LOL ...such changes have occured in communication ... is he doing a jig wherever he may be floating in the ether?
Baadeck Yarn ShopBaadeck Yarn Shop
Baadeck Yarn Shop

... it took more than a nano second to get the BAAA of the name in Baddeck ;-)
Such SymetrySuch Symetry
Such Symetry

... and is it for sale? NO Theyard is a big messs...too bad
The Bridge to Bras d'OrThe Bridge to Bras d'Or
The Bridge to Bras d'Or

...the Cabot Trail has been left behind ... went around the whole thing ... over 400km!


Tot: 0.461s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb