East Cape, Campbell Beach, Georgetown


Advertisement
Published: June 14th 2016
Edit Blog Post

June 10, East Cape

It rained all night. This morning the wan is covered in salt drizzle/mist. It is dry inside the wan and breakfast will be a ham and mayo sandwich.

The subsequent arrangements needed have been made for the extra days now available in Nfld. since the St Pierre Miquelon trip has had to be cancelled. The rainy morning was a good time to settle all this.

Once the sun began to shine the trip towards East Cape began. A stop was made at North Lake Harbour. Not a particularly pretty harbour but the beach afforded the chance to find the round end of a lobster trap, the same half round shape seen in Hopewell Rocks B&B. There it served as a frame for a lovely painting by a local artist. Frame and painting also bore a $200 price tag. North lake Harbour afforded a free source of a similar frame and a talented painter will surely not be hard to find – read sister dear.

Two young women were also checking out the scenery and taking shots of the surroundings. The mother, driving, stayed in the car the whole time.

East Cape was
Disappearing ShoreDisappearing ShoreDisappearing Shore

The lighthouse has been moved two times and the coffee shop is also not at original shore side site.
the goal and coffee was the need. At the approach, a big yellow and black road sign warned of the road ending in 300m. AND IT DID!

There was a metal barrier at the end of the road but at speed, this could easily be breached and a steep descent into the Gulf of St. Lawrence would be the result. On the distance horizon the ferry heading forÎles de la Madeleine could be seen.


Still needing a coffee, because now it was almost 14:00, the café, recommended by the girls at North Harbour, was approached. OMG … it’s locked!


The ladies in the lighthouse saw the man in charge outside in his car smoking.


Finally … coffee and two fried eggs on a Kaiser with cheese and bacon. The cook had been born in Sudbury. His wife came from the P.E.I. area. It is always interesting to learn how people find their way to idealic places.



June 11, At the Campbell’s Campsite


The day was spent at the campsite a rest day from the BMA. The folding chair from Home Hardware was a comfortable seat in the sun as the multi coloured glove for which there was not enough wool to

Massive TimbersMassive TimbersMassive Timbers

The geometry of the timbers as the lighthouse winds its way to the top is impressive ... the dimensions of the beams alone can no longer be bought.
finish was completed in complementary colours.

The sun shone, the waves beat upon the shore, and hot water was at the ready for numerous cups of Nescafe.


Once the gloves were done even to the point of finishing all the straggly ends it was time to walk the beach. The tide was going out and the beach sand was strewn with gooey slippery dark sea weed. No treasures hid in this mess, but further on amongst the brittle sandstone rocks lost lobster traps lay stranded. Tangled nets made separation difficult. Returning with a sharp knife the half-moon ends of the lobster cages were freed and rescued from the beach to be made into more frames. Since rescuing three this day and already having one at the wan I offered one half circle to the couple from Ottawa. When told that kitchen bulletin boards could be made with black chalk board paint the woman accepted the frame.


It was a perfect day. The evening meal was cooked … found only one potato in the New Brunswick bag with one of the diseases mentioned at the Potato Museum.


Not until in the shower was it discovered that the day in the sun

had left my legs the colour of cooked lobster. In subsequent days I would see more than one person with similar lobster hued skin.


June 12, Georgetown


From East Cape to Georgetown the road meanders down the coast past red potato fields, stands of mixed forest, fields in fallow, endless stretches of lawn in front of palatial, modest, trailer and dumpy homes and every now and again a glimpse of the white capped sea. What is the ratio between lawns and potato fields here in P.E.I.?


When reaching the destination the most impressive building was the Georgetown Inn. Once inside it was realized that breakfast/ brunch/lunch had been missed by a few scarce minutes. The man welcomed a quick tour of this very well appointed B&B. It must be very successful with Japanese clients because translations were evident everywhere. It was a place to be enjoyed at $110 to $170 per night with all rooms having an ensuite.


The proprietor suggested the Lobster place. Does he know that for $13 dollars one is obliged to drink coffee from a paper cup and eat the corn chowder out of a cardboard bowl? The chowder was tasty; the coffee was

weak.

It had started to drizzle. The next goal was the silversmith. At the corner of Water Street a shop with stained glass in the window looked like a place that could be a studio. This building, a former pharmacy was a very lively gift shop run by the wife of the silversmith. His studio was down the street in a yellow clapboard. A pleasant time was spent with the wife and all the local crafts were much admired.


The silversmith was a short walk down the street. A good number of nice pieces were on offer but no bracelet spoke to me. Anyway the seams on each band could be seen, which I pointed out to the man … not one of his creations was as sublime as the last bracelet bought in China! Two pieces of sea glass entwined in silver were bought.


In the centre of town a huge green theatre hall took centre stage … lol. Behind the Hall a Memorial Garden in honour of one of the Fathers of Confederation, MacDonald, was laid out and shining green in the rain


It was getting late and a visit to the Souris lighthouse was still required because

an earring made from a piece glass containing enough uranium to make it glow under light had been ordered. The cost was only $15.

Groceries were picked up at MacAfee’s Market. Red pepper cost$5.99/lb, the English cuke was 2.99 and four big cans of chickpeas went for 5.00. Cannot remember the cost of 80 bags of Tetley’s Tea but a pouch of ground black pepper was 4.99. A chick pea salad with red pepper, cuke, red onion, baby carrot slices and Greek feta dressing was planned.


Having forgotten to go to get wine, Charles, who owns the campground plied me with wine the bottle of which bore the Campbell Campground label. Apparently this was wine he had made. It was pretty good!


Most of the food was transported in slow cookers and all contributions to the pot luck were tasty; macaroni- meatballs-cheese dish, a rice concoction coloured dark brown, mashed potatoes, large junks of salty ham, a spiral noodle salad, a creamy soup with cubes of chicken & veggies and chick pea salad. There was quite a bit left over after eleven campers had seconds. Shadow the dog ate bits of ham.


Barb who owns the potato farm that Charles

works at during the week took my email address. She will send me the recipes for two delicious sounding preparations that I plan to use at a Welcome Me Home get together.

The man at the end of the table brings me flounder and scallops, frozen, as a gift and Charles put it in the freezer.


As dusk became dark it was time to retire. No shower tonight …too late… hand, face and feet were the only parts exposed during the day. Washing these was the extent of the evening toilet ritual.


…woke up with lights on, computer buzzing, reading glasses riding on the bridge of my nose and the need to answer a call of nature.


It was a good day … all except for the cardboard soup bowl!



Sorry for any bad grammer or misspellings ... at the WoodIsland Ferry Terminal waiting to return to Nova Scotia. There was no Wi-Fi at the Provincial Park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Campbell's Cove BeachCampbell's Cove Beach
Campbell's Cove Beach

The waves mesmerize and spending a whole day within the sounds of the sea was a total joy.
Cardigan WelcomeCardigan Welcome
Cardigan Welcome

... no wool shop in this town ... why not with such a name?
GeorgetownGeorgetown
Georgetown

... came looking for the silversmith ... found his wife and a maroon cow.
Elegant Georgetown InnElegant Georgetown Inn
Elegant Georgetown Inn

The inside was so well presented. At the side of the 100 year old building a small gaden was in the process of being planted.
The Maroon Pig The Maroon Pig
The Maroon Pig

... where I should have visited for refreshments
Lobster StripLobster Strip
Lobster Strip

... cardboard bowl fare. The fact that it was a stripof shops should have been warning enough that the place would lack a certain amount of finesse but had to addressa call of nature and in that situation never think straight.
A HomeA Home
A Home

There was a truck inthe drive way, curtains on the windows and toys in the yard.
That Girl ...Over ThereThat Girl ...Over There
That Girl ...Over There

...a painting in the lighthouse at East Cape
On a Big Maritime AdventureOn a Big Maritime Adventure
On a Big Maritime Adventure

Posing on North Lake Harbour Bridge


Tot: 0.502s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb