Green Gables


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Prince Edward Island » Cavendish
September 23rd 2013
Published: September 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

You don’t go to PEI and not take in an attraction involving Anne of Green Gables. You’re not going to find Avonlea, the place where Anne Shirley lived, because she’s a fictional character. What you will find is tributes to the author Lucy Maud Montgomery who wrote Anne of Green Gables and had the first book published in 1908. There is a provincial park in Cavendish dedicated to this and onsite there is a house and barn and trails that are similar to the ones L.M. Montgomery encountered when exploring the nearby farm owned by her cousin’s Grandfather. These are the ones that inspired Avonlea in her books. We also found a bookstore run by a descendent of the McNeils, the Grandparents who took L.M. Montgomery in when she was young. Almost all of the little shops are closed up this time of year, but Vicki managed to find one that had just the right pink PEI sweatshirt. From Cavendish, we decided we would find a Cows, a famous ice cream establishment. We headed to Bordon so we could pick up geocaches along the south coast on the way back to the cottage. The ice cream was very good, but not worth the hype or the cost of about 4.60 per cone. From there we headed closer to the coast, because this is where the confederation bridge is that connects PEI to New Brunswick. We got a great view of the bridge from what looked like the staging area for the Ferry that the bridge replaced in 1997. From there we headed east to pick up geocaches. Typically, good caches are placed where there is a something cool to see. The first one was at a small park area on the coast that had a set of stairs that led from cliff the park was on down to the beach below. When we were there it was high tide and the water was 2 or 3 steps up the stairs. It looked funny having stairs disappearing into the water below. The other 2 were similarly along the coast and we got some nice shots of the ocean coming up to the red cliffs of PEI. We picked up some supplies at the local store and are now simmering the chili that will be ready to eat in minutes.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb