Biking on the Caledon Trailway


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Tottenham
July 29th 2016
Published: July 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Biking on the Caledon Trailway from Tottenham to Caledon East (NW of Toronto)







Text and Photos last updated: 2016

Number of times on this trail: 4

Location: NW of Toronto

Distance markers: no

Bathroom: porta potty at soccer fields

Surface: crushed limestone

Width: varies

Grade: Flat

Condition of trail: good

Benches: near towns

Garbage bins: near towns



The Caledon Trailway was the first designated portion of the 24 000 km long TransCanada Trail joining the Atlantic, Pacific and Artic Oceans. The first trail pavilion is located in Caledon East.

It is approximately 35 km in length and runs in a NE to SW direction. As a result it crosses a lot of the north-south county roads.

In the south the trailhead is in Terra Cotta at Bricklane Road. In the North, the trail starts in Tottenham across the street from the Simcoe County Rail Museum. There is no official parking for the trail but lots of public parking a few metres away.

From Tottenham going south, the trail passes through the communities of Palgrave, Caledon East, Inglewood (ice cream!) and Cheltenham. Palgrave is about 9 km south and Caledon East approximately 20 km from Tottenham.

Although there are a lot of road crossings most of the county roads are not that busy. Each road crossing has an easy to maneuver barrier with lots of signs telling you the name of the road and an address if you have to call 911.

Each road crossing also has room for a few vehicles to park.

My guess is that about 70%!o(MISSING)f the road has shade with a hardwood canopy. The open areas usually give great views of farm fields growing hay and grains. A few subdivisions are also visible.

Sections of the trail have poison ivy, but the area is well signed.

The trail is not paved, but the hard packed limestone surface is smooth enough even for street bikes (well there are a few short gravel areas!)

Even though the trail is never far from urban areas, you would never know it. The scenery is rural, peaceful and tranquil.

Highly recommend this trail.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Simcoe county railway museumSimcoe county railway museum
Simcoe county railway museum

located at the trailhead in Tottenham
PalgravePalgrave
Palgrave

covered rest area on the trail
TransCanada Trail PavilionTransCanada Trail Pavilion
TransCanada Trail Pavilion

This was the first pavilion erected on the TransCanada Trail
Walk of fameWalk of fame
Walk of fame

from Farley Mowat to Norman Jewison and other local heros


Tot: 0.359s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb