Biking Michigan's Lansing River Trail


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Lansing
August 22nd 2016
Published: August 23rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Lansing River Trail


Biking on Michigan's Lansing River Trail



This trail is a bit of a mish mash. From excellent surface to not so excellent. From completely rural to completely urban. The official length is 12.6 miles (20.5 km)

Along the way you will pass Potter ·Park Zoo, River Walk Theatre, R.E. Olds Transportation Museum; Lansing Market, Old Town with Burchard Dam and an interesting Fish Ladder and finally the historic Turner Dodge House.

In general, directions are good and there are frequent signs. When the trail sort of ended, I continued on and soon came to Michigan State Campus. It is easy to get lost (I did) The university has done a great job of marking the trails on the pavement, but obviously they were not thinking about visitors.

A good portion of the trail is on constructed boardwalks along the edge of the river. Most of the boards are loose so it can be very noisy. In the area near the zoo there is a lot of vegetation growth. On my trip I stopped and watched a deer feeding across the river. There are a few porta potties available and a few water fountains. In the city there are lots of garbage containers and benches.



There are many places to access the trail. In the north I selected Dietrich Park on Josephine Drive, zip 48906, but a better location would be Turner Dodge Park on North Grand Avenue .

Not bad for an urban trail.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

lansing trail  (2)lansing trail  (2)
lansing trail (2)

Michigan state stadium
lansing trail  (14)lansing trail  (14)
lansing trail (14)

End or beginning of trail


Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.1525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb