City sight-seeing


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
September 29th 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Wilkins' townhouseWilkins' townhouseWilkins' townhouse

A cosy 2BR, 2 bath, single level unit. It is one block from the main north-south road into the city Yonge St, in a sort of gated community. Includes two underground car bays and the train station is a few blocks away. Although Toronto is more or less the same size as Sydney, it supports a decent light rail/subway system where the trains run every few minutes. Day ticket costs $12 pp, or you can buy ten tokens for $29. Each token is good for one journey at any time on the subway, bus or the tram, regardless of length.
Geo: 43.649, -79.3718

After a bit of a slow start we ventured out into the windy, grey day. We caught the subway 30 minutes to Union Station, and enquired at the tourist desk. The enthusiastic helper directed us to the historic and interesting St Lawrence Market. This is a bit like Melbourne's Victoria Market, with food from many cultures. Then we walked on to the old Distillery District as the rain showers became heavier and more annoying. We caught a streetcar (tram) back to the city and then trained it to the Royal Ontario Museum. They were showcasing an exhibition by Dale Chihuly, an American glass sculptor - colourful and impressive.

We plan to visit Toronto's CN Tower, completed in 1976 and the tallest free-standing structure in the world until topped by Dubai's Burj Khalifi in 2007. It has a revolving restaurant that should be fun, but not in this weather!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Interesting building decorationInteresting building decoration
Interesting building decoration

Near the St Lawrence Market.
Toronto streetscapeToronto streetscape
Toronto streetscape

The other (pointy) end of the brick building in the previous pic. You can just see the CN Tower tucked in behind the left glass building. The impression of mild neglect that we gained in the airport is reinforced in the train stations, that also would benefit from some sprucing up.
Entrance to the ROMEntrance to the ROM
Entrance to the ROM

Bit like Le Louvre, where a modern glass structure is added to old stone buildings.
DinghyDinghy
Dinghy

The larger balls are about 600mm round. Terrific colours!


7th October 2016

I agree !!
10th October 2016

Dale Chuhily is a Seattle boy! His first studio, before he was famous was only a mile or two from our place in Greenlake. I thought you would like to know that! Lowie
20th October 2016

Good Lowie, with a pedigree like that no wonder he is doing well!

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1017.6kb