Down at the Ballpark!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
June 6th 2010
Published: June 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Us at the BallparkUs at the BallparkUs at the Ballpark

Rachel and I at the Rogers Centre before the Blue Jays vs Yankees game
On Friday, Darina had the afternoon off work so we all headed down to Chinatown for some Dim Sum for a late lunch. It's nothing like the Chinese food we get in the UK, a lot less is deep fried and a lot more of it is steamed or boiled. Rachel wasnt too keen on it, and it certainly wasnt my favourite out of all the food we have eaten here (and there has been a lot!)

We had a nice walk round Chinatown, lots of vintage clothes shops and little food stores and restaurants, and made our way towards the Rogers Centre, the home of the Toronto Blue Jays baseball team.

As we arrived a couple of hours before the game, we had a wander round the area and popped into the Steamwhistle Brewery, where they make a local beer. We tried a sample and looked around the foyer where there was a small art collection on sale to raise money for an AIDS charity, all the pieces had been done by children in AIDS affected areas of the world.

Eventually, we went into the Rogers Centre and had a look around the shop, watched the New York Yankees practise and got ourselves a beer before taking our seats. After the national anthems had been sung by a local school choir, it was time for the action. If you can call it action!!! Neither Rachel or I understand much about the rules of baseball and it seemed the game was more about the PA playing songs and the big screen running adverts and competitions, and there was an awful lot of stopping and starting! In the end the Blue Jays thrashed the Yankees 6-1, and our first experience of baseball together was over!! The arena was so stiflingly hot (they had closed the roof over the stadium) that we were quite relieved the get outside into the cool night air.

Our next update will be from the Big Apple itself, we fly there on Monday morning, where we have four days to see all the sights and sounds it has to offer. We are very excited, Rachel says she feels like this is where the travelling really starts. We have stayed with a friend here so it has been more like visiting a friend and seeing the sights rather than full on travelling (not that we
Chinese!Chinese!Chinese!

Darina and I in the coolest hats we have ever seen!
are complaining about the very comfortable bed, lovely shower and free tour guide and the fact we have got to spend two weeks with a friend we havent seen for ages!).

So, until next time, goodbye from Canada!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Steamwhistle BrewerySteamwhistle Brewery
Steamwhistle Brewery

Outside the Steamwhistle Brewery in Toronto
The Rogers CentreThe Rogers Centre
The Rogers Centre

Home of the Blue Jays!
Inside the Rogers CentreInside the Rogers Centre
Inside the Rogers Centre

The view from our seats


6th June 2010

This has been fab...
Good luck on your next leg...cannot wait to read about it Lots of love Karen xxx
18th June 2010

Yeah i went to see the yankee's in Ny it was borrrrrrrrinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg!!
9th July 2010

Steamwhistle
Glad to see you made it to Steamwhistle! Good blogs - very jealous! Dave

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0798s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb