Niagara-On-The-Lake


Advertisement
Published: June 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Lake OntarioLake OntarioLake Ontario

This is where the River Niagra runs into Lake Ontario
So, the day after Niagara Falls, Rach and I made our way to Niagara-On-The-Lake, a small town around 30 minutes from the falls themselves.

The town is where the river Niagara meets Lake Ontario and was a proudly loyalist town during the civil war.

When we arrived, we realised that there wasn't really that much to do and it was very touristy, with lots of little shops (and expensive shops). The tourists all seemed to be of a more senior age and there seemed to be little for young hip travellers like us to do!!! :-)

We took a walk down to the Lake itself which was very tranquil and unfortunately due to the fact it was cloudy we couldn't see Toronto on the far shore of the lake, which apparently is very clear on a clear day.

After spending some time down at the Lake we had a walk around the town, and nosied around some of the shops as well as trying a local Ontario delicacy, Ice Wine. We tried three varieties of this wine, which is very sweet and meant for drinking in small amounts with desert. It isnt very alcoholic (10%) compared to
The Clock TowerThe Clock TowerThe Clock Tower

This is the centre point of the town, and is also the cenotaph remembering the people of the town who died in the great wars.
normal wine and because of how rich and sweet it is, a small glass would certainly be enough at one sitting. There are two famous brands Peller and Hillebrand and apparently Peller can be bought in the UK at places like Selfridges so we may get some when we get back.

After a quick stop at a delicious chocolate shop, we headed back to the falls to get our coach back to Toronto.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Niagra-On-The-LakeNiagra-On-The-Lake
Niagra-On-The-Lake

A little bit of history and info about the town


6th June 2010

How much weigth are you puting on with all these wine chocolate tasting!!!

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb