Biking Peterborough's Rotary Greenway Trail


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Peterborough
June 11th 2016
Published: June 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Rotary Greenway Trail

From Peterborough to Lakefield

Peterborough's Rotary Greenway Trail and Lakefield Rail Trail




Location: Peterborough to Lakefieldd




Number of times biked: 8



Distance: about 16 km to Lakefield

Surface: paved (Rotary Trail) and hard packed stone (Lakefield Rail Trail)

Rest areas: Benches along the way

Water: No

Food: both in the two towns.








The Rotary Greenway Trail is one of many trails in the city of Peterborough and surrounding area. There are two printed maps available: Peterborough County and City Cycling & Trail Maps, and PeterboRoutes: Recreational Cycling routes .



The Rotary Greenway Trail is 7 km long, 3 metres wide and paved and when you connect to the Lakefield Rail Trail portion it is an additional 8 km. There are many access points to the Rotary Greenway Trail. One that offers free parking, and washrooms is located at Rogers Cove Park, 131 Maria Street, GPS: 44.300801, 78.307640.




From Rogers Cove Park, turn left on to Maria street, then a quick right on Mark Street and another quick right on Sophia Street. The trail is just ahead on the left.



A few blocks up from Sophia at the intersection with Hunter Street is Ashburnham Ale House (128 Hunter Street E. Phone 705-874-0333) that backs on to the trail.

Pub style food and of course lots of brews to select from!



Also, if you turn right on Hunter Street and go up a long hill you will arrive at the Peterborough Lift Lock, the highest hydraulic boat lifts in the world at 19.8 metres or 65 feet.



The trail continues north through more parkland, a few street crossings and a bridge over the Trent Canal. The trail appears to end at Trent University just before a bridge. If you continue under the bridge for about a hundred metres, the trail picks up again on the right. From here, the LAKEFIELD RAIL TRAILl is crushed limestone (suitable even for street bikes) more rural and offers more shade. Most of the time you are within view of the Otonabee River. About 2 km from Lakefiled you will go by locks 24 and 25 with a park, benches, washrooms and a viewing area.



The Trail ends in Lakefield on Water Street, at Bridge Street (yes there is a bridge). At the intersection of Bridge and Water is an ice cream store! Just Bridge Street you can take a side trip to the home of Canadian writer Margaret Lawrence.

If starting from Lakefield, you will find parking on Water Street (at Bridge Street) backing on to the river



There are local trails on both sides of the river if you wish to explore more.



More Photos below







Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb