Tall Ships at Brockville 2016


Advertisement
North America » Canada » Ontario » Brockville
September 27th 2016
Published: September 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Just what are "tall ships", and why the strange name? They are sailing ships, with as much as 11,000 square feet of sails, that carry passengers or cargo or both, either commercially or for pleasure. The word "tall" refers to the height of their masts, which extend sometimes more than 100 feet (30+ meters) above the water. From the 15th century onward, relatively small wooden ships powered by the... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

part of EG's gun deckpart of EG's gun deck
part of EG's gun deck

Galleons were always being attacked by pirates and privateers, so they needed to carry ample protection.
original 1565 San Pelayo inventoryoriginal 1565 San Pelayo inventory
original 1565 San Pelayo inventory

It's just one of many artifacts on display on a lower deck, relating to Spanish possessions and commerce over 2+ centuries.
1640 Spanish map1640 Spanish map
1640 Spanish map

It shows the Gulf of Mexico, Florida, Cuba, other Caribbean islands, and a multitude of settlements. The text is a mixture of Spanish and Latin.
'Officers Country'  ...'Officers Country'  ...
'Officers Country' ...

... where ordinary sailors wouldn't dare venture.
EG Officers' Mess furnishingsEG Officers' Mess furnishings
EG Officers' Mess furnishings

These are contemporary replicas of the sort of furniture provided for officers of the San Pelayo and other galleons of the day.
1812 era militia cannon1812 era militia cannon
1812 era militia cannon

Margo with one of the many Canadian military artifacts on display ashore.
local Sea Cadet bandlocal Sea Cadet band
local Sea Cadet band

For part-time teenage musicians, they were pretty good !
waiting to tour St Lawrence II (SL2)waiting to tour St Lawrence II (SL2)
waiting to tour St Lawrence II (SL2)

This unique sail training brigantine is based in nearby Kingston, Ontario.
''Sail When and If'' (SLI)''Sail When and If'' (SLI)
''Sail When and If'' (SLI)

This historic schooner's home port is actually Key West, Florida. It was originally designed for General George S. Patton, who didn't live to sail it after WWII
Mist of Avalon (MoA)Mist of Avalon (MoA)
Mist of Avalon (MoA)

This schooner's home port is Toronto. It is welcoming visitors, berthed next to the Canadian Coast Guard ship that acted as safety escort for the flotilla. Behind the trees you can see the foremast of the Empire Sandy (ES).
women's peace memorialwomen's peace memorial
women's peace memorial

It is located in the park near where the MoA is berthed.
Admiralty Launch 'Surveyor' (LS)Admiralty Launch 'Surveyor' (LS)
Admiralty Launch 'Surveyor' (LS)

This is the type of boat in which Captain Bligh was set adrift after the mutiny on HMS Bounty. An effort is underway to raise funds for its restoration.
Ontario's favourite treatOntario's favourite treat
Ontario's favourite treat

It's Beavertails, of course! (sweet pastry shaped that way, with a variety of toppings, that originated in Ottawa)
adiós at sunsetadiós at sunset
adiós at sunset

I actually took this shot of El Galeón in 2014 during its visit to Saint Augustine, Florida. I've included it here because it seems a fitting way to conclude this article.



28th September 2016
adiós at sunset

Tis fitting!
29th September 2016
adiós at sunset

Delightful
How nice to see a story from my old town and wish I'd been there to share in the excitement. You have taken some great pictures and produced an interesting and comprehensive review of the event. I'm surprised at the number of passengers some of those boats can carry and also the elegant furniture. Love the women statue!!! How great that this flotilla made the trek last summer and is keeping the era of tall ships in our radar. It really caught my eye as I have been watching the Netflicks Once Upon a Time series in which Captain Hooks Jolly Roger often flies across the screen. The intrigue and adventure of a pirate's life. Thanks for sharing. I see you are still enjoying historical ventures!!!
3rd October 2016
adiós at sunset

Masterpieces!! Wonderful photos of some seriously beautifully crafted vessels- It's incredible the condition that the ships are in AND that they're still used to sail around for these type of events. What's the significance of "passsport" ;) I can only imagine what a journey it must have been to sail on those back in the day...

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0845s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb