Day 3- Amherst, NS to Annapolis Royal, NS


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Annapolis Royal
June 15th 2023
Published: June 15th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Woke up this morning to clouds and sprinkles. Ray had a tough night sleeping with his siatica howling, so we took our time getting ready and having breakfast. Even at that, we were on the road by 9:00. The sprinkles turned into bands of heavy rain, so we were slowed down quite a bit. Around 1:00, we stopped at a supermarket for some needed items. Before leaving home, Ray had said not to pack too much, as we could buy what ever we needed in Canada cheaper, and the exchange rate is very attractive. I was also very cautious about bringing certain foods, as I didn't want to give them to the Custom's agent at the border. Well, we got major sticker shock at the grocery store. The prices were extremely high, even by Naples, FL's standards. On top of that, they add a 15% tax on everything. We left with one bag full of stuff for $114. The only meat products were a roasted chicken ($13) and a pound of bacon. ($8, on sale) After lunch in the RV, we hit the road.



We had decided to spend the next two night in Annapolis Royal, and there was no quick route to get there. Nova Scotia is quite beautiful, even inland. We passed miles of farm land, orchards and pine forests. The skies finally cleared as we got closer to our destination, which is on the Bay of Fundy. The tides here are incredible. They have the most extreme range of high tides. Watching the high tide come in was almost scary, as it was moving so fast.



The campground we are staying at is just okay. We will only be here for two nights, as we want to visit the historical sites in Port Royal, Annapolis Royal, and Digby.



The bug (VW) is off the trailer, and we took our first drive around the area looking for a place to eat. It turned out to be quite a challenge, as most of the places were closed. We just figured out that they are an hour ahead of us here, and we were right around their closing hour. We did find a lovely restaurant still open, and had a wonderful meal.

Looking forward to checking the area out tomorrow, since Ray's family had roots here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



15th June 2023

Wow thought good prices were bad here. Hopefully sun will come soon. Safe travels. Enjoying blog.
15th June 2023

trip
What a fun trip! Love the Bug! Canada is an expensive place, having experienced it a month ago. Beautiful though!!
19th June 2023

Travel safe
I love lupine, it is so prett,

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb