Day 4 - Annapolis Royal


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Annapolis Royal
June 16th 2023
Published: June 16th 2023
Edit Blog Post

After a wonderful nights sleep by the both of us, we awoke to a beautiful day. After breakfast we went to the Port Royal Habitation, a recreation of a 17th century french compound. It was very interesting to see how they lived and functioned in those early days. Because of the many hardships they had to endure, they established the Order of Good Cheer, to keep their table joyous and well provided. Basically, the men took turns hosting the banquet and arraigning entertainment. There was no mention of what the women were doing that night. Life then was pretty hard.

From there, we headed of to Digby, where we planned to have lunch. Digby is a seaport catering mostly to fishing vessels, and claiming to be the scallop capital of the world. We found a lovely restaurant, "Fundy Restaurant" and had a marvelous lobster, although a little on the pricey side. Washed that down with our $8. bottle of Corona, I don't know how people manage up here. During lunch, the skies opened up and it was like a monsoon, with tons of lightning. The ride back was a treat.

We headed back to the RV for our perfunctory nap. By then the rain had stopped and the sun was shining. We headed out again to the Melanson Settlement, just outside of Annapolis Royal on the Annapolis River. This settlement was established in 1664 by Ray's 8th Great grandfather, Charles Melanson and his wife Marie Dugas. The village consisted of orchards and gardens, and four generations of inhabitants lived in the village before it was abandoned in 1755, during the British deportation. It was quite interesting to see the ruins of the village, although all that was left were the ruins of the fireplaces and chimneys, the houses having been burned by the British. There are still orchard trees growing on the property, and it felt surreal to be walking in the footsteps of my grandparents from over 200 years ago.

Leaving there, we went to Fort Anne in Annapolis Royal. This fort was involved in over twelve battles between the British and the French of the years. It is situated on a breathtaking plot of land overlooking the Annapolis river. We walked around the ramparts, and sat to enjoy the view. Speaking of views, the houses here in Annapolis Royal are spectacular, with loads of old Victorian homes that are incredible.

Back to the RV and our required cocktail hour. No sooner than we started drinking an a lovely couple in the trailer next door invited us over to enjoy their campfire. They were very nice, and were from Nova Scotia just out for a relaxing weekend. Sandy managed to live up to her reputation and spilled red wind all over her self.

Well, it's now 10:00 pm canada time, and we're going to call it quits. Tomorrow we head out to the southern tip of Nova Scotia for a couple of days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement











16th June 2023

Back in time
Glad you guys are having a great time. Awesome to see how things were way back in time. Homes must be very interesting inside. Stay safe. Love you
16th June 2023

Blog
It sounds like a wonderful trip and you’re having a fun time. Sorry 😢 about the wine spill. You really should change to Chardonnay.
18th June 2023

Wine
You’re right. I had to throw the tee shirt away 😞
16th June 2023

Hellooooo
Looks like you are having a great time! Awesome Love the beaver You still have not learnt Ho bring her sippy cup when you travel Have fun and be safe Hugs Raymond

Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb