21 Days in Newfoundland - Days 1-3: Marine Atlantic (Sydney to Argentia), Placentia, Quidi Vidi, St John's, Signal Hill, North Head Trail, The Narrows and the Battery


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Newfoundland & Labrador » St John's
September 8th 2017
Published: September 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The flag of the MV Atlantic VisionThe flag of the MV Atlantic VisionThe flag of the MV Atlantic Vision

Ferry from Sydney NS to Argentia NL
My three week trip to Newfoundland started with a 16 hour ferry ride from Sydney Nova Scotia to Argentia Newfoundland. After the ferry I drove to Placentia for breakfast, followed by an hour and a half drive to Quidi Vidi; a small fishing village just outside St John's. Although small, it is very popular to the tourists who check out the small fishing cove, the fishing shanties and of course the Quidi Vidi microbrewery. The next day I visited Signal Hill in St John's and completed the North Head Trial, the trail from Signal Hill down to the Battery.The trail skirts the Narrows, the narrow entrance to St. John's Harbour. The trail down is 1.7 km and ends at the Battery, a unique collection of small houses, fishing shacks along a narrow, narrow road. This was followed by a 1 km walk through the Battery along the Harbour Side Walk. Along the way you spot some absolutely amazing painted murals depicting the life of the fishermen. The images are so realistic they look real. After a quick snack at the Battery Café, I decided to return to Signal Hill via Signal Head Road. An intense, 1.5 km walk and all uphill of course. I must say the trail down was much more pleasant. While at Signal Hill I also visited the Ladies Lookout, the highest point of Signal Hill. So named because the women used to visit to look for their husbands as they returned from the sea. Honestly! Tomorrow Cape Spear.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

North Head TrailNorth Head Trail
North Head Trail

Hold on tight!
Tackling the narrowsTackling the narrows
Tackling the narrows

The entrance to St John's Harbour
One of the muralsOne of the murals
One of the murals

Painted on concrete. So realistic


9th September 2017

Great shots
Nice to see some familiar places in NF. B&J hope to go next year, so bring us home a road map(the good old fashioned type!) looking forward to some more phtos. Safe travels and enjoy your "lemonade" in the rain!

Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 92; dbt: 0.1537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb