Magnetic Hill, Tidal Bore, Moncton


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » New Brunswick
September 2nd 2016
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 46.0991, -64.7591

We were first in line for the Magnetic Hill. We had been told there are often lineups and as we left we saw several cars arriving.

Magnetic is a misnomer. The hill is actually an optical illusion and a very good one. The guide tells you to drive down the hill which is confusing because you have to push on the gas pedal to get to the bottom. You then put the transmission in neutral and coast backwards up the hill gaining in speed along the way until you reach the crest of the hill. Very convincing if you are the driver.

Back to the hotel to park the car and walk into town to view the tidal bore. The Bay of Fundy is fed by the river which passes through Moncton. Today at 10:26 was the beginning of the tide change when the tidal waters flow up the river. Usually a tide change is a gradual wave by wave increase. Here, the water rushes up the river. Under ideal conditions surfers have actually ridden the wave.

The rest if the day was spent exploring Moncton. There were some older homes and several churches.

We also visited the Resurgo which is a new museum of local history and transportation. There were lots of hands on activities for the "kids".

Before walking back we found the Pump House Brew Pub which had been recommended to us.

Dinner at the St. Louis Bar & Grill which is opposite our hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb