Cape Breton - Here We Come


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia
September 3rd 2016
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 46.0093, -61.5294

After breakfast we headed for Cape Breton. We stopped in Amherst which is a very pretty small town.

We encountered our first toll road / $4 - so not a big deal. The highway to Cape Breton is a combination of 2 lane roads and 4 lane divided highway followed by the Canso Causeway and a swing bridge.

We are staying overnight in Port Hood and tomorrow will do the Cabot Trail.

We are staying at the Hillcrest Hall Country Inn. It was built around 1910 and has in the past been known as the Leadbetter House and the Crestwood Hall.

The building went into disrepair in 1923 when the local economy which was based on coal faltered. The Leadbetter family operated a store in Port Hood.

This afternoon we visited the Glenora Distillery which is the first single malt distillery in North America. We had a tour and taste of the 10 year old "Scotch" - quotation marks because Scotch refers to whiskey from Scotland where single malt is the norm. Peter L will recall visiting here.

On our way back we stopped at the Red Shoe which is stilled managed by the Rankin family. Younger readers of this will have to look up the name. We enjoyed local beer & food and listening to local musicians.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb