Beautiful British Columbia


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
July 14th 2005
Published: July 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Skeleton for DummiesSkeleton for DummiesSkeleton for Dummies

Brenda ending her career in Skeleton. Should not have let Eric go first.... he captured the photo evidence.
Today was a big day for us Road Trippers! We left Saskatchewan behind early in the morning, stopped in Calgary at the Olympic Park and headed into the mountains, stopping for the night in Golden, BC.

Eric and I were keen to get to Calgary to visit the Olympic Park. The park is open all year around and is used as a training facility for our athletes. They train for both winter and summer games there. There are mountain bike trails, a summer ski jump training hill, as well as luge, skeleton and bob sled training in the Ice House. The public can take a try at a training run for Luge and Skeleton, and YES, we both did it. 200 meters of an icy track and a wood sled is all there is to it. I have to say I got a little nervous when they told us we had to sign a waiver! We were even able to take a chair lift to the top of the park and then go to the top of the highest ski jump tower, now that is a million dollar view!

After playing in the Park, we set off for the
Ski Jump ViewSki Jump ViewSki Jump View

No wonder they are called Crazy Canucks! This is what they look at when they are preparing to jump.
mountains. What a picturesque journey. Got to see deer in the river, and antelope scampering across the highway. The road into Golden is more than challenging. They are serious when they post maximum speeds. Eric did a great job driving in. My turn tomorrow! Stay Tuned.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Training JumpTraining Jump
Training Jump

They can jump all year round in Calgary. The person on the left preparing to land is not one of us trying it out. No tourists allowed on that ride!
I am the ChampionI am the Champion
I am the Champion

Eric feels like number one having found gas in Alberta as low as 84.9 cents per litre!!!
Beautiful BC ViewsBeautiful BC Views
Beautiful BC Views

Mountains, mountains everywhere.
Snow in July!Snow in July!
Snow in July!

For all of you in the east.... I've found a way to cool off! I've always wanted snow in July.


14th July 2005

The Luge!
You did the luge -- now I couldn't do that. Look forward to your daily updates. You are almost there.
15th July 2005

awesome pictures
Bren: How come you're upside down in that picture? It looks almost like you're trying to crawl back up. Those are beautiful pictures of the mountains, guys. Congratulations to Eric on finally winning Olympic gold, he truly has the three 'I's.
15th July 2005

skeleton...
that looks fun! your face is blurry enough too ensure that if the picture ever got spread around the internet you could totally deny it was you. although i'd personally wanna take full credit if i were you.
15th July 2005

Love the Snow in July!
It's so bloomin' hot here - the snow looks wonderful. Looks and sounds like you guys are having a great time. Give Chris a hug for me. Keep us posted. Angela
15th July 2005

The pictures of the mountains bring back some great memories, have to do that drive again sometime. Be careful on those mountain roads, no wrestling with the big rigs! Eric, any chance Bren will let you sneak some smoked salmon in the truck to bring back to TO? Finally got rain yesterday for the first time in weeks...it was a beautiful thunder banger, thought of you Bren!
15th July 2005

The pics of the mountains are amazing. Now I really want to go west!

Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb