Down up pedals, down up down!


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 49.2605, -123.114

Really, there should have been an alert issued today to warn the locals that we were going to be loose on the road. At the very least, we could have been advertised as a comedy duo to provide free entertainment!

The bike shop was on the waterfront so we were "right there" on the Seawall and with a few quick instructions on adjusting the seat, the helmet and locking the bikes up we were on our way. Would have been handy to have any sort of instructions about the brakes and the gears ... but after a few little hiccups we had it semi sorted. As they say, "necessity is the mother of invention."

The ride out to Kitsilano Beach was advertised as 22 kms with the first 8 kms as a one way very flat circuit around Stanley Park. We made good progress in Stanley Park and wobbled and wove our way to the Totem Poles and stopped off for a look, a read and a few photos.

The bikes add a whole new dimension to the experience. Your field of vision becomes very narrowed - instead of looking out at the surrounding scenery you are very very focussed on not falling off the Seawall and taking a few pedestrians with you. Mac had a novel way of stopping by running up the gutter and my hop on hop off technique was an absolute circus act. But to be honest, we only nearly fell off a handful of times but it was the theatrics of arms and legs flailing trying not to fall off that had us in stitches!

There were lots of spots to visit on the way (great recovery spots): Hallelujah Point (named after the Salvation Army congregation singing), the Nine O'clock Gun(still fires every evening), Brockington Point (and the lighthouses), Prospect Point and The Lion's Gate Bridge (tucked under the dangerous cliffs), Siwash Rock (and the tree growing out of rock), Third Beach, Ferguson Point and Second Beach.

Breakfast and lunch combined today and was at Mike's Hot Dog Stand at English Beach (highly recommended by John the bus driver) and we relished the food stop! And of course we got to compare moans and groans ..... sore bottom was the top of the charts with blister hands a close second.

Then it was the ride along the False Creek Inlet to revisit the ferry ride destinations including a swish by Edgewater Casino, the Science Centre, The Olympic Village and Granville Island. Once we left Stanley Park the number of bike riders certainly thinned out. We only had to dodge the pedestrians on this part of the ride and of course, avoid riding off the edge of the Seawall.

A few hills were thrown into the mix as we left the park and Mac cruised up as the master of the gears. I chose to walk the beast up the inclines!

Our passion for the adventure was waning by the time we hit Kitsalano Beach so we revived our enthusiasm with a visit to the Gelato Stand. We watched some seals playing in the water off shore and yes, there was one intrepid swimmer in the 10C water carefully watched by two lifeguards.

The ride home was across Burrard Bridge. This little short cut shaved some 18 kms off the home trip but it did mean the long slow crawl up the bridge and pretending we were real riders by heading to the city streets and peak hour traffic. Have to say the real riders were very patient and with their constant little ring of the warning bell and their gentle ."on your left" we managed to finish the 35 km round trip unscathed, return the bikes on time in one piece AND pick up Mac's washing. (Mac gets extra credit today because as well as the shared travelling he started the day with a two kilometre journey to the laundry.)

On wobbly legs and with rear ends that knew we had been on bikes all day we assuaged the pain just a little with a post ride debrief and welcomed drink on the harbour at Mahoney's Bar watching the two latest cruise ships depart from Canada Place.

And as a reward for our heroic exploits we settled in to dinner in Notch8 in The Fairmont. Wow, again, such amazing food. Mac of course does ALL courses and our banquet included a mustard seed pull apart loaf (we ate it all), shrimp cocktail, steak (best yet), fire roasted prawns (never seen anything like them before), eclairs with caramel and popcorn (yep, popped corn), cocktails and liqueur coffees.

With the combined impact of food and beverages, the aches and pains were temporarily forgotten. Let's see if we remember them tomorrow as we launch into the first day of the Rocky Mountaineer. We will be part of a group tomorrow...hope we remember how to behave.

PS had a little camera malfunction today...camera dial found its was to "special effects"...highlight colour orange. No idea.

Wednesday
Temperature: 20
Pedometer: 14 466
Bear Sightings = 0

Total Bear Sightings = 2


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb