Here comes the sun...but it's night time!


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 49.2838, -123.121

Blue skies at last and it certainly brightens up all things Vancouver. We didn't start the day that way, in fact it was a predicted high of 15 so we did begin our adventures under overcast skies rugged up against the cold.

The first visit was to the dizzying heights of the Vancouver Lookout for a bird's eye 360 degree view of metro downtown Vancouver, the suburbs of the Southtown ever present mountains of the north and the bustling harbour including the railway yards (they were pretty cool actually!) The glass elevator on the outside of the building whisked us to top at the rate of a second per floor ...we were there in 42 seconds and had even snapped some pics on the way.

The observation deck circles around the building. There are signs to give the history and background and very friendly and helpful staff who give more information and answer any questions you may have. It was absorbing...and we made plans to be on the deck for sunset!

Time to get our bus tickets. Ahhh, happy at last because now we can enjoy the bus trip and travel a circuitous 56 kms and "only" have to walk a mere 21 500 steps!

The hop on hop off bus was the major goal for the day. Mac had spent a bit of time planning the "hop off" bits which are focussed on the bits we won't visit on the bikes. There are 23 stops to choose from on this one so we were at all the "uphill" vantage points! On the first loop we took in the Lookout at The Lion's Gate Bridge and it was really beautiful. There was a Chinese gentleman busking at the lookout and he was playing the most soulful and haunting music. This, combined with the first smidge of a blue sky, made this a memorable stop over.

The full loop of the bus takes about two hours and we enjoyed the recorded commentary and John's additional anecdotes and serenades. Part way through the tour we were joined by the crew of CBC news. They were recording a segment for the nightly news because The Economist has declared that "Vancouver is among the world's most mind numbingly boring cities." (Along with Geneva and Vienna.) The crew was filming on the bus and then interviewed a couple of the patrons. We missed out on being superstars because we were in the front enclosed part of the bus!

Not sure that we agree with The Economist though - certainly the weather has not been a 10 out of 10 but there are so many great places to visit in the city area; the mountains and their associated playgrounds are just 30 minutes away; the restaurants and bars have been fabulous and offer an endless range of live entertainment! Think you'd have to be dead to be bored here!

Anyway, we finished the first loop and found the bike shop for tomorrow and had lunch at a halal fish and chip shop (no idea, so don't ask) and @lizmcphee, finally got to #FreeWilly we think. There was an amazing urban art sculpture on the promenade of the Convention Centre. Close up it is an almost unrecognisable heavily pixelated whale composed of oversized black and white blocks. As you move further away the picture becomes clearer and when you see it reflected in the glass of the convention centre it looks like a whale leaping out of the water. It was very clever (and more impressive than the "drop".)

Our second loop dropped off us in Stanley Park - another community park, this time a mere 1000 acres to explore. We did our best in just a few hours and visited Beaver Lake, Fergusson Point (@Debbie and Craig), Lost Lagoon and the Rose Garden. It was the day of the birds! They were so calm and tame and even in the process of herding their new hatchlings the geese, ducks and swans just went about their business ignoring the human intrusion.

It was precision navigation and timing to have us at the Second Beach and the Happy Fellow sculpture just in time for the last bus. A last Hop On Hop Off part loop to end our bus adventures. We found 45 minutes for a cool drink and a pizza before the return visit to the Vancouver Lookout. We even squeezed in a visit to the Drug Store to top up on bandages for the slowly repairing gravel rash. Talk about making every minute count!

As the sun got closer to disappearing below the horizon the cloud cleared and blue skies presented themselves. The observation deck of the Lookout was a very popular spot for lots of fellow visitors for an anticipated spectacular view of the sunset - and it did not disappoint. The colours of the city completely changed and we were greeted with the flood of gold, blue and pink! Beautiful.

Nature's show was over by 9.30 pm and it was time to trudge home. No day is complete without just one walk up the hill to The Fairmont followed by the last lap of the hallways! Mac said we needed a rest day...can't see that happening just yet! Still got the bikes tomorrow, then Grouse Mountain the next day and then.........so much more!

Tuesday
Temperature: 13 in morning 21 at 6 pm
Pedometer: 21 578
Bear Sightings = 0

Total Bear Sightings = 2


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



28th May 2015

so glad you've at last found that free Willy. Bus tour sounds pretty good.So much to see there. Eagerly awaiting pictures of Grouse Mountain
28th May 2015

Looking forward to reading about the bike riding! Stay safe,.

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb