Day 3: Vancouver, British Columbia: Finding a friend, glamorous gardens, and fresh fish!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
August 5th 2016
Published: December 14th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Friday, August 5th, 2016

Day 3: Vancouver, British Columbia: Finding a friend, glamorous gardens, and fresh fish!



Today, Renata and I are incredibly excited to meet our friend Stephanie in downtown, Vancouver. It has been over 15 years since we've last seen each other.



To get to Vancouver from our accommodation in Surrey, we needed to drive 10-minute to Surrey Central station plus take a 45 min train ride. Our accommodation was definitely not in an ideal location!



We met Steph for lunch at a sushi restaurant in the mall near her workplace. We decided to eat outside, which was probably not a good idea because we were swarmed by bees. It's so weird! There is a bee shortage in Toronto but it seemed like there were more than enough bees to annoy us in Vancouver.



We learned that Stephanie's brother, Charles, had moved and in now working in Shanghai. Also, her parents were going to leave Vancouver and move to Anguilla in the next couple of days.



After Steph went back to work, Renata and I decided to check out the nearby VanDusen Gardens. The gardens are not as extravagant as the Butchart Gardens in Victoria; nevertheless, it was nice to walk around and explore. We witnessed a wedding ceremony taking place and found a cool maze to explore.



After the gardens, we headed over to Granville Island. Granville Island is a pretty little Island in the middle of the city. There are musicians and buskers performing in the streets, fine waterfront restaurants, galleries, unique shops, and a fresh food market. We wandered the streets, the various shops and the public market before heading to the nearby Vancouver Fish Company waterfront restaurant for dinner.



I love seafood, especially fresh fish. We ordered oysters, a plate with three types of fish, tuna tartar, and a banana caramel pie. The meal was worth the steep price and we had a great view overlooking the pier.





By the time we reached our accommodation, it was time for bed. Tomorrow is the wedding! I am so excited to finally celebrate the nuptials of my cousin, Ryan, and his fiancé, Petrina.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.289s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.2497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb