The deliciousness of Vancouver


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
April 2nd 2015
Published: April 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Round the World


Ten awesome days in Vancouver! As we are coming up to the three week mark of long-term travel, we're finding our groove. We have been spoiled in Vancouver. We're staying right in downtown in a hotel we got for a bargain. Our first day we treated ourselves to a much needed sleep in. 29 hours or so on a bus seriously does things to one's sanity status. I think next time we will just fly lol.

We walked around and discovered to our delight that we are literally surrounded by food. YES. After a little exploring we settled on a scrumptious Belgian brekky. And this is how the last week or so has gone. Wake up, get ready, EAT something delicious, explore, eat again, settle in for the night in our hotel room. We've spent lots of time at the public library as the building is just stunning. Shaped like something out of ancient Rome with floors upon floors of books and resources. So much goodness! We've walked along the sea wall and got lost in Stanley Park. We've treated ourselves to a movie - Insurgent, so good! We've stuffed our faces with waffles, croissants, bagels, BBQ wings and delicious real melted hot chocolates. We caught a sea bus over to Granville island and explored the public markets on a gorgeous rainy day. Might I add the seagulls here are massive!!? They are seagulls on sea-steroids!

We've meandered through Gastown, bought a T shirt or two, tried a maple syrup lollipop, got a photo next to a huge clock run by steam. We had an awesome adventure at the Capilano Suspension Bridge one afternoon, definitely worth the admission fee to see this amazing park! We were lucky enough on the way there to meet a wonderful American lady called Teri, who gave us lots of info and tips about New York for when we arrive there. She was a real gem that lady, so motherly. We were lucky to meet her and exchange contact details. The bridge was awesome; something like 140m long and 70m above the river, you can really feel it bounce around from the wind and the footsteps of others. In the park also was a treetop walk which was stunning, and a cliff walk which was even better! So well done.

We've caught the skytrain across Vancouver to visit Queen Elizabeth Park which was another treat, and free! This park was filled with blooming flowers and immaculate lawns and walkways. Many people get married here and we could see why!

Vancouver has been an amazing experience. It has been wonderful to slow down a bit after the rush of LA and San Fran. In a couple of days we catch a bus up to Banff, which we are really excited about. I'm so keen to get into the mountains and really see the Canadian Rockies! I'm going to miss Vancouver though. This city has been so enjoyable to explore and walk the streets and parks.

Travel is really opening my eyes so far. I still haven't been able to get over the number of homeless on the streets, no matter where we go. The homeless have been really unpredictable from my experience in America and Canada. I've tried to offer food and it has been rejected. I can't bring myself to give money because time and time again I have seen the homeless using their collected coins to buy smokes or scratchies. It's been overwhelming to see all the sights; the camps they make on the city streets, the rubbish, the piss and feces on the side walks. I've had flowers thrust into my hands and then been followed for payment before I've hastily given back the flower and moved on. With so many people in the world needing help, I'm feeling there is really something wrong with this world. I'm just doing my best to enjoy this trip because I know I've worked hard and saved ruthlessly to get here.

Leah and I have marveled about how much cheaper it is here compared to Australia. We caught numerous taxis in San Francisco and never did a trip cost much more than $10. The food is insanely cheaper. I am in love with cream cheese bagels for only $2, which fill me right up. Alcohol, fuel, food, clothes, you name it. I feel so ripped off being Australian lol. Trying to adapt to the public transport in each city has been fun. Some buses only let you pay with exact change. Some, like the ones here in Canada, don't let you pay with notes. They only accept coins, which we unceremoniously found out trying to get to the suspension bridge. Luckily as there were so many of us, he ended up letting us on for free lol.

Vancouver has overall been a fantastic experience. The people here are mostly lovely and friendly. We are so excited to get up to Banff so I shall update again once we are there!

Ciao for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb