Alaska, Canada and NYC Day 18


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
June 15th 2014
Published: June 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Woken early with vibration from the props shaking the mirror behind the bed (0515). Decide to get up and see our entrance to Vancouver. Showered and dressed and up to the crows nest. Only 1 other up there. Still rattling a bit but more land around us now. Other cruise ship just in front of us as well.

More and more people coming up. Julie appears and then most of the others from our cruise group appear at one stage or another.
Eventually Vancouver appears out of the mist. Lots is ships at anchor in the harbor.

Announcement that we are later than expected as we got held up at the narrow bit - had to give way to northerly ships. No drama for us but one of the group had an 1130 flight so she would have been a bit toey.

Go down for breakfast but too late - never mind.

Eventually get alongside at canada place (where the ships dock). Other ship in just before us. All of a sudden the wharf is a hive of activity if fork lifts and people tying up the ship etc.

disembarkation takes place by colour and number ( allocated on bag tags).

Very orderly and seems to flow really well. We are the 2nd last group off (blue 3). Noticed our bags come off so that is a good thing.
Do final pack of hand luggage and say farewell to our cabin people.

Up to the lido deck to watch all the disembarkation and wait and wait.

Eventually they start calling blue 1, blue 2 then finally blue 3. Off and into another queue. Directed to the blue 3 bag area and there are our bags. Impressed with the organization so far.

Pass off our immigration paper and we are out. No passport check.....

Into next queue for taxi. This on is a doozy. Out one door, around about 6 lines then into the hall and out again. Finally get to the taxi organizers. Chris asks how close our hotel is and whether we could walk. Lady says it is close but up the hill do taco best option, however she did stress to tell the taxi driver after we were in the cab. Hmmm, think very close. No problem, driver happily accepts voucher and drives all of 5 minutes to hotel. Drops us off with a smile and heads back for more passengers.

Into hotel about 1100 expecting to leave bags and go for a walk. Check in and they have a room ready now. Bonus. Bags dropped, refreshed a little and out for food and a walk.

Get to the tourism centre back where we just docked. Crash of thunder and down comes the rain - jackets back at the hotel.
Get info on hop on hop off buses, find wifi and wait for the rain to stop.

First to send happy birthday message to Stephanie (at 0230 Melbourne time). into the cafe for food, and very nice as well. By the time we finish, so has the rain. We buy the bus tickets and go to the queue. Wait for the next bus and then do a 2 hour trip around Vancouver. Informative but the early morning starts to kick in - a few missed bits here and there.

Coming back to our drop off and it starts to pour again - just as we have to swap buses - and into one with a fold back roof. Seats a bit damp but we get over that.

Into the hotel and the phone rings. Julie has found us and we go for a drink with her and Greg at their hotel across the road. I hook into their free wifi and next thing my phone is ringing - Stephanie and Jessica on face time - still in bed and sharing themselves with all and sundry in the lobby. say happy birthday and suggest we call back a little later.

Bid farewell again to Julie and Greg (they have to do their welcome reception for their new trip. We go back into the lobby of our hotel and meet vince, Jeanette and don from the cruise. Arrange to do tea with them in the hotel restaurant. Turns out that the kiwi couple are also eating there so we have a table for 7. Nice.

Finally get back to the girls in the lobby and have a good chat - out of bed now....... Catch up on all the news from Melbourne and Mildura. Late night and we have to be up early so off to bed.

Big day.....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.461s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb