Day 8 - Seattle to Vancouver


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
August 15th 2013
Published: August 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

imageimageimage

King street station Seattle
Train to Vancouver leaving Seattle at 7.40am. Easy taxi ride from the b&b to King Street station.

We purchased business class seats for the trip - check in was easy and quick. Train left on time and once settled we went to the dining room carriage for some breakfast. The train is called the "Cascade" and it's a nice scenic way to make the crossing into Canada.

Arrived in Vancouver at midday and got through customs without much delay. Caught a taxi to our hotel in downtown Vancouver. Taxi was cheaper than using public transport. Only $9 fare for the ride and certainly saved us a lot of hassle.

We are staying at the Days Inn Downtown. It is an older hotel and the rooms are small but it is clean, the staff are very friendly and helpful and we are only 2 blocks from the cruise terminal.

Found a Tim Hortons coffee shop nearby so we had lunch there. Tim Hortons is a favourite with Canadians - great coffee and bagels - also a good selection of sandwiches, soups and donuts.

Took the courtesy shuttle bus to Stanley Park and checked out the Vancouver aquarium.
imageimageimage

The Amtrak Cascade
I've read good reviews about this place and it really was a great aquarium. It was worth the $30 admission price. Also had a walk around Canada Place. A cruise ship was in the terminal - Silver Shadow and 8353262we watched it leaving the port heading to Alaska. This time tomorrow we will also be heading off on our cruise ship The Celebrity Millennium.

Walked back to the hotel from Stanley Park and came across a restaurant "Moose from down under". This is an Australian establishment right here downtown. All the staff are Aussies and food was great and very much Australian.

Vancouver looks to be a vibrant city and everyone is friendly. Look forward to exploring Vancouver more when we return in a few weeks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

imageimage
image

Waiting to board
imageimage
image

Hotel room in Vancouver
imageimage
image

Canada Place
imageimage
image

Coal harbour
imageimage
image

Jelly fish at the aquarium
imageimage
image

Beluga whale
imageimage
image

Close up of a boa constrictor at the aquarium
imageimage
image

Lions gate bridge Vancouver
imageimage
image

Watching the silver shadow leaving the port


Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0893s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb