Canada Goats for Gold & Gold Medal Plates - Vancouver 2010


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
February 17th 2010
Published: February 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Home to House of Switzerland Home to House of Switzerland Home to House of Switzerland

Fantastic Swiss fondue and specialities in the Bridges Bistro. Fine Swiss dining at Bridges Restaurant until February 28th! Highly recommended. Hopping bar scene!

Canada Goats for Gold


"Goat for Gold” is not a meal ticket for Olympic gold medal-winning athletes. It's not what Canada's Own the Podium is all about. It is the follow-up to the charitable efforts of a group of Vancouver Canucks fans during the 2009 NHL Playoffs, called “Goat Canucks Goat”. These Canucks fans, after deciding to buy one goat for an African family each time the Vancouver Canucks won an NHL playoff game, inspired Canuck fans to donate enough funds to buy 1,073 goats despite the Vancouver Canucks 2nd Round wipe-out.

During the Winter Games, every time a Canadian wins a gold medal, this group of fans once again plan on buying goats for African families in the hopes of capturing the spirit of the Olympic Games. The dream: Canadians will get in the spirit of giving and donate via their website: Goat for Gold . It's great to know that individuals can make a difference!

Announced two weeks before the opening ceremonies, the Canadian Olympic Team is over 200 strong and about the same size as the USA Olympic Team at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games. While you can't count your gold medals before they are won, with incredible world
Great Coffee Houses in VancouverGreat Coffee Houses in VancouverGreat Coffee Houses in Vancouver

Coffee houses on every corner! La Calabria on Commercial Drive is an experience.
cup results in the Alpine and Speed Skating events in the lead up to the Games, the prospects, if not the expectations for a goat load, I mean a boat load of gold, are high. With Canada placing 3rd in the overall medal standings in Torino 2006, Canadians are hoping to Own the Podium at home!

On Sunday, February 14th, Canada won its first gold medal at home after hosting the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal and the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary! Alexandre Bilodeau won gold in the Men's Moguls and two days later, Maelle Ricker won her gold medal in Ladies Snowboard Cross, first Canadian women to win a gold medal at home. Let the Gold Rush begin!

While goat cheese is commonly served in Vancouver restaurants, goat meat dishes are rarely served; hopefully, I won't have to eat goat, I mean crow, when the final medal standings stand on February 28th! Despite goat-free dining, the dining scenes in Vancouver and Whistler are culinary playgrounds for International tastes. A fusion of local ingredients and exotic flavours makes Vancouver one of the top culinary destinations for galloping gourmets and travelling foodies. So, why not enjoy eating in
Bishop'sBishop'sBishop's

West coast cuisine at its finest!
some of our best restaurants? We do!

Vancouver Culinary Olympics


Now, while we are not Foodies or Gourmets, Mama Canuck is too busy blogging to have time to go grocery shopping or cook, so the Travelling Canucks eat out at neighbourhood restaurants and when we feel adventurous, we try restaurants with great reviews so we can recommend good eats to our friends. Although we are not aficionados of food and drink, like Foodies, or epicures of refined taste like Gourmets, we do love food, enjoy preparing food when we have the time, enjoy watching the Food Network, and follow the news about new restaurants and celebrity chefs. Maybe, we are Foodies in denial?

Now, you may have asked yourself what the real difference between a Foodie and a Gourmet is. While Foodies were once labelled Gourmets, Foodies is a much more hip moniker, don't you think? Today's Gourmets are defined as simply those wanting to eat the best food, whereas Foodies want to learn everything about the culinary world, including food, both the best and the ordinary, and about restaurants, chefs, hence, the popularity of food magazines and the Food Network.

The Culinary Olympics, whether it is
Rodney's Oyster BarRodney's Oyster BarRodney's Oyster Bar

Fun and electric atmosphere in Yaletown with friendly service!
the Bocuse d'Or held in France or the Internationale Kochkunst Ausstellung's (IKA) Culinary Olympics held in Germany, is where the world's best chefs and pastry chefs compete to show who is tops in the culinary arts. The Culinary Olympics have been hosted 22 times. The next Culinary Olympics will be held in 2012!

With chefs from all over the world, Vancouverites and visitors can enjoy cuisine from all over the world while attending the 21st Winter Games. Luckily, rated as the tenth "Best Restaurant City" in the world, as named by Food & Wine Magazine in 2008, many of the world's famous chefs have recently joined chefs who have also been recognized nationally, if not internationally.

Vancouver's Golden Chefs
Vancouver's celebrity chefs, include:
• John Bishop, born in Wales, has owned Bishop's, one of the top restaurants in Vancouver for over 20 years. West coast cuisine with fresh local ingredients is what has made this restaurant one of our top picks. The Travelling Canucks have spent many memorable occasions at Bishops over the years because of the superb cuisine and service. Located in Kitsilano on West 4th Avenue, leave your Hockey Jerseys at home and bring your credit card!
Yaletown Fine Dining Yaletown Fine Dining Yaletown Fine Dining

Cioppino's, one of many fine dining choices!

• Vikram Vij and Meeru Dhalwala, born in India, own and manage Vij's and Rangoli. Vij's is one of the top restaurants in Vancouver. Both restaurants are definitely the top restaurants serving Indian cuisine. Vij's and Rangoli are located next door to each other in the South Granville neighbourhood. No reservations are taken so get there early. Rangoli is a trendy restaurant for a casual dinner while Vij's is very pricey.
• Jean-Georges Vongerichten, born and trained in France, is one of the world's famous chefs and restauranteurs who has recently made a big splash in Vancouver. With 18 restaurants around the world, including Jean Georges, Spice Market, Perry St, JoJo, Vong Vong's, Thai Kitchen, V, etcetera, this Michelin-starred chef is starring at his newest restaurant, Market by Jean-Georges at the Shangri-La Hotel.
• Daniel Bouludm, born and trained in France, made his reputation in New York. Bouludm is now Executive Chef at DB Bistro Moderne on West Broadway in Kitsilano, named after one of his famous restaurants in New York. Business casual is the norm over lunch and brunch hours. Next door, Thomas Haas has just opened a chocolate/pastry shop/bistro that the Travelling Canucks love!
• Hidekazu Tojo, known as Tojo, is sushi-maker
Maple TreatsMaple TreatsMaple Treats

at Granville Island's Public Market.
to the stars. With one of the top Japanese restaurants in Vancouver dating back to the late 1980s, the internationally recognized Tojo, whose ego is only surpassed by the high prices at his newly designed restaurant, has finally a space that reflects the innovative dishes that Tojo's restaurant has been renowned for. Mama & Papa Canuck's favourite dish: Tojo's Tuna.
• Rob Feenie, Vancouver’s own 2005 Iron Chef America Winner, is one of Canada’s most recognized and acclaimed chefs. In 1995, Feenie opened Lumiere with critical acclaim including prestigious awards, such as the Relais Gourmand designation, four stars from the Mobil Travel Guide, and AAA Diamond Award. After a bit of drama, Lumiere has been recently renovated by the "new" ownership group. Currently, Feenie is Food Concept Architect for Cactus Club Restaurants, one of the Travelling Canucks favourite restaurant chains with the South Granville Location on the corner of West Broadway and Granville Street being our first choice.
• Umberto Menghi, renowned local chef and restauranteur, was one of the first local celebrity chefs in Vancouver. Vancouver restaurants, Umberto’s and Il Giardino, and Whistler restaurants, Il Caminetto and Trattoria Di Umberto, are considered to be top restaurants. Umberto Menghi also owns Villa
Sunshine Diner on West BroadwaySunshine Diner on West BroadwaySunshine Diner on West Broadway

Best breakfast in town. Great service and ambiance-long line-ups!
Delia Hotel & Tuscany Cooking School in Tuscany, Italy.

Travelling Canucks' Restaurant Tips & Picks


Vancouver's Granville Island Public Market is still our top market despite the growing popularity of farmers' markets. So not surprisingly, many of Vancouver's chefs source fresh ingredients from market vendors. The Vancouver Foodies website, Urbanspoon Vancouver, features ratings and blogs about Vancouver restaurants. We highly recommend reading the reviews and researching restaurant choices on Urbanspoons whether you live or are just visiting Vancouver.

With thousands of restaurants to choose from it can be overwhelming to choose a restaurant in Vancouver's dining scene. Reflecting Canada's cultural diversity, there's an incredible selection of ethnic restaurants: Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Chinese, Korean, Mongolian, Indian, Jamaican, South American, Mexican, Ethiopian, French, Italian, German, Swiss, and the list goes on. Obviously, we have not eaten in every restaurant in Vancouver, so our list may not list some newer restaurants we haven't had a chance to try. Also, the Travelling Canucks live on Vancouver's westside and so most of our favourite restaurants are located in Vancouver's downtown and surrounding neighbourhoods where the Olympic City Venues are situated.

Our Favourite Breakfast Spots
Cafe Crepe - South Granville and two downtown
Moderne BurgerModerne BurgerModerne Burger

Great burgers on West Broadway. Take out available!
locations on Granville Street
Dutch Pannekeok House - Oak Street & 16th Avenue
Stock Market - Granville Island Public Market for best porridge
Market Grill - Granville Island Public Market for waffles and breakfast sandwiches
Gypsy Rose - West 4th Avenue, just off Burrard Street for crepes
Sunshine Diner - West Broadway, Kitsilano for great eggs benedicts in fun 50s diner
Bean Brothers - West 41st Avenue, Kerrisdale for full breakfast and baked goods

Our Favourite Bakeries
Lee's Donuts - Granville Island Public Market
Siegel's Bagels - Cypress & Cornwall Street, Kitsilano
Terra Breads - West 4th Avenue and Granville Island for breads, cookies & bars
Sweet Obsession Cakes & Pastries - 16th Avenue & Trafalgar, Kitsilano
Grounds for Coffee - Alma & 10th for the best cinnamon buns
Mix the Bakery - 10th Avenue, Point Grey
Butter - Dunbar & 30th Avenue for fantastic bars and cookies

Our Favourite Lunch Spots

Burgers
Market Grill - Granville Island Public Market
Moderne Burger - West Broadway, Kitsilano
Vera's Burger Shack - multiple locations: UBC, South Granville, Kitsilano on Cornwall
Spitz Grill - Main Street

Sandwiches
Japadog - Burrard & Smithe for best hotdogs
Take 5 -
Belgian Fries on Commercial DriveBelgian Fries on Commercial DriveBelgian Fries on Commercial Drive

Rated as best poutine on the west coast.
Pacific Centre Mall under the Igloo and multiple locations
Doolin's Irish Pub - Nelson & Granville Street - best pulled pork sandwich
The Greedy Pig - Gastown on West Cordova - best grilled cheese sandwich
Memphis Blues BBQ - Granville & West Broadway and Commercial Drive for BBQ/pulled pork
Las Tortas - Cambie Street for Mexican sandwiches

Seafood
Tony's Fish & Oyster Cafe - Granville Island
Celine’s - Granville Island Public Market
Pajo's Fish & Chips on the Wharf - Steveston, Richmond

Our Favourite Snack Spots

Ice Cream & Coffee

Ice Cream & Gelato:
Mondo's - Robson Street and Denman Street
La Casa Gelato - over 200 flavours on Venables just off Commercial Drive

Coffee:
Calabria Bar - Commercial Drive
Artigiano Coffee Houses - multiple locations: Downtown, Kerrisdale
Blue Parrot Cafe - Granville Island

Tea:
Secret Garden Tea Company - West Boulevard, Kerrisdale for high tea
The Urban Tea Merchant - Park Royal, West Vancouver

Desserts
Lee's Donuts - Granville Island Public market for warm honey glazed donuts
Sweet Obsession Cakes & Pastries - 16th Avenue and Trafalgar, Kitsilano
Thomas Haas Fine Pastries & Chocolates - West Broadway, Kitsilano
Notte's Bon Ton
Yummy Fries!Yummy Fries!Yummy Fries!

20 dips to choose from at Belgian Fries!
Pastry & Confectionary - West Broadway, Kitsilano
Grounds for Coffee - Alma Street, Point Grey for best cinnamon buns
Butter - Dunbar Street for homemade treats, including bars and marshmellows
Sweet E's Pastries & Sweets - 41st Avenue, Kerrisdale
Bean Bros - 41st Avenue, Kerrisdale
Fratelli Bakery - Commercial Drive
Brioche - West Cordova, Gastown
Honey Doughnuts and Goodies - Deep Cove, North Vancouver
Savary Island Pie Company - Marine Drive, West Vancouver

Chocolates
Chocolate Arts - West 4th Avenue, west of Burrard Street, Kitsilano
Thomas Haas - West Broadway, Kitsilano

Canadian Specialities
Maple Syrup - Granville Island's Public Market and Maple Treats in Gastown
Beaver Tails - Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver
Poutine - Belgium Fries on Commercial Drive

Our Favourite International Dining Experiences


Drinks Spots
Elixer - Opus Hotel, Yaletown
UVA Wine Bar, Seymour Street
The Salt Tasting Room - Bloody Alley, Gastown
Bacchus Piano Lounge - Westwood Hotel across from Robson Square
Delilah's Restaurant & Martini Bar - Bute & Denman Street
Ginger 62 - Granville Street, Downtown

Breweries and Beer Sampling
Granville Island Brewery - Granville Island
Yaletown Brewery - Yaletown
German Fest - Gastown, next to Waterfront Station during Olympics
Doolin's Irish PubDoolin's Irish PubDoolin's Irish Pub

Home to Irish House over the Winter Olympics located next to Doolin's. Hot spot over the Olympics!

Saxony House - Vancouver Rowing Club at the Georgia Street Entrance to Stanley Park over Olympics
Heineken House - Richmond's O Zone over Olympics

Seafood
Rodney's Oyster House - Yaletown
Blue Water Cafe + Raw Bar - Yaletown
Provence Marinaside - North False Creek, Yaletown
Water Street Cafe - Gastown
C Restaurant - Howe Street, Downtown
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House - Thurlow Street, off Robson Street
Raincity Grill - Denman Street, off Davie Street
Sandbar Seafood - Granville Island.
Sun Sui Wah - Main Street, north of King Edward Avenue (25th Avenue)

Steakhouses
Glowball Grill Steaks & Satay - Yaletown
Gotham Steakhouse - Seymour Street, Downtown
Cactus Club Cafe - Yaletown and South Granville
Keg Steakhouse & Bar - Yaletown

Japanese
Tojo's Japanese - West Broadway, west of Oak Street
Iki Japanese - West Broadway, off McDonald Street
Irashi - West 41st Avenue and West Pender Street

Asian

Chinese:
Wild Rice - East Pender Street, just west of Chinatown
Sun Sui Wah - Main Street, north of King Edward Avenue
Shanghai River - Westminster Highway, Richmond

Thai:
Simply Thai - Yaletown
Baan Wasani - 41st Avenue & West Boulevard
Chocolate ArtsChocolate ArtsChocolate Arts

Favorite Chocolatier - Fantastic Truffles! Located on West 4th, east of Arbutus Street.


Vietnamese:
Sugarcane Vietnemese Cafe - West Boulevard, Kerrisdale
Chau Kitchen & Bar - Robson Street

French
Le Crocodile - Melville & Burrard Street
Les Faux Bourgeois, East 15th Avenue & Fraser Steet
Pieds de Terre - Cambie Street
Lumiere - West Broadway, Kitsilano
Coco & Olive, West Broadway

Italian
Nat's New York Pizzeria - Denman Street, off English Bay
Flying Wedge- pizza locations include: Vancouver Library Square and on Cornwall Street in Kitsilano
CinCin Ristorante + Bar - Robson Street
Il Giardino - Hornby
Ciopinno''s - Yaletown
Provence Marinaside - North False Creek, Yaletown
La Buca - McDonald Street, Dunbar
La Quercia - West 4th Avenue & Alma, Point Grey
Marcello - Commercial Drive

Mexican
Salsa & Agave Mexican Grill - just across from the Yaletown-Roundhouse Station/Casa Italia, Yaletown
Las Margaritas - West 4th Avenue, west of Burrard Street, Kitsilano

Indian
Vij's - South Granville
Rangoli - next to Vij's
Maurya - West Broadway in Fairview and located at Edgewater Celebration Village during Olympics
Handi's - Dunbar Street and West Vancouver
Jolly's Indian Bistro - West 4th Avenue, just west of McDonald Street

West Coast Fare
Bishop's - Kitsilano
West - South Granville
Crave
Beaver TailsBeaver TailsBeaver Tails

Vegetarians welcome, no beaver meat here at Lonsdale Quay!
- Main Street

Great Views/Ambiance & Food
House of Switzerland - Bridges Bistro & Bar, Granville Island view of marina and Vectorial Elevation
Rodney’s Oyster House - great vibe in Yaletown
Italian Kitchen - great vibe off Robson & Alberni Street
English Bay Cafe - view of English Bay and Vectorial Elevation

Good Eats for Curling Fans


Cambie Eateries
Dutch Pannekeok House - Oak Street & 16th Avenue for breakfast
Dutch Wooden Shoe Cafe - breakfast
Las Tortas - Mexican sandwiches
Pied-à-Terre - fine dining
Kreation Artisan Cake - take-out pastries
Flying Wedge Pizza, Cambie and various locations

Main Street Eateries
Sun Sui Wah - Chinese dim sum and dining
Crave - west coast dining
Splitz Grill - great burger bar for lunch and dinner

Great choice of restaurants at the Yaletown and Waterfront Stations on the Canada Line or just walk along Robson Street. Check out some of our favourite restaurants in Vancouver and enjoy the International cuisine that Vancouver is famous for!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Robson Street Food ShopsRobson Street Food Shops
Robson Street Food Shops

Rocky Mountain Chocolate Facotry joins Cupcakes, Cafe Crepe, Jugo Juice, Mondo's Gelato, and other top food vendors on Robson!
Maple TreatsMaple Treats
Maple Treats

shop on Water Street in Gastown. Mama Canuck loves maple sugar pie!
Granville Island Food FairGranville Island Food Fair
Granville Island Food Fair

Lots of great choices in food fair at Granville Island's Public Market. Top choices: Market Grill, Lee's Donuts for warm honey glazed donuts, and speciality coffees at the Blue Parrot Cafe.
The Commodore on Granville Street The Commodore on Granville Street
The Commodore on Granville Street

Budweiser House on select nights over the Olympics! Bar and concert hall!
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House on ThurlowJoe Fortes Seafood & Chop House on Thurlow
Joe Fortes Seafood & Chop House on Thurlow

Expensive seafood restaurant with hopping bar scene! Great steaks too!
Restaurants on Denman StreetRestaurants on Denman Street
Restaurants on Denman Street

Great choice of restaurants around English Bay.
Delilah's RestaurantDelilah's Restaurant
Delilah's Restaurant

Martini bar and interesting menu concept! Lively West End hangout!
Eat in Style in Yaletown!Eat in Style in Yaletown!
Eat in Style in Yaletown!

Fantastic choice of restaurants in Yaletown. Just hop on the Canada Line, stop at Yaletown-Roundhouse Station and explore - can't go wrong! Check out Zagat Rated Simply Thai!
Restaurants Galore in YaletownRestaurants Galore in Yaletown
Restaurants Galore in Yaletown

Chain restaurants and unique resturants - over 40 to choose from within a couple of city blocks!
Water Street CafeWater Street Cafe
Water Street Cafe

in Gastown across from the Gastown Clock. Check out the Salt Tasting Room on Blood Alley for cheeses, meats and wine pairings. Interesting concept!
Coca Cola Trucks Invade VancouverCoca Cola Trucks Invade Vancouver
Coca Cola Trucks Invade Vancouver

Major Olympics Sponsor! Visit the Coca Cola Pin Trading Centre at the Downtown Bay, location of the Olympic Superstore!


Tot: 0.36s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 98; dbt: 0.1972s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb