A romantic weekend on Bowen Island


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
February 15th 2008
Published: February 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

B and B Dining room B and B Dining room B and B Dining room

The verandah overlooking the garden and trees. Breakfast was never so good!
A weekend away from the hustle and bustle of the city was just what we needed. Bowen Island is so close to Vancouver, yet so far in terms of pace of life. Once you arrive on the island, 20 mins ferry trip from Vancouver, you are transported to another world. People, bus drivers, all greet you with smiles . Our B+B, on the north end of the island was a short bus drive away from the ferry terminal. After being dropped off by a very friendly island driver right outside the B+B, we headed towards our weekend getaway. The suite is surrounded by trees , set in a beautifull garden , and is very private and secluded. Our host had prepared everything perfectly for us, from the fully stocked kitchen to candles, bath salts and fresh robes and slippers. Warming , eathly tones surround you in this tastefully decorated suite.
Needless to say, after an undisturbed sleep, we woke to nature, looking out the high glass windows.

The island is covered with hiking trails. A short bus drive dropped us off at the trailhead of a popular walk around the Killarney Lake. It was quite an eerie looking lake, being
Looking out to Vancouver from Bowen IslandLooking out to Vancouver from Bowen IslandLooking out to Vancouver from Bowen Island

The massive north shore mountains behind us.
mostly frozen with long thin branchless trees sticking out of the ice, shrouded in mist. After our walk, we headed into town, and drank a very expensive hot chocolate at the quaint chocolate cafe in the creative centre of the island, artists square.

Our final day on this little paradise was spent hiking around the southern edge called cape rogers. Brochures mention the one resident cougar that has been spotted on the island, but apparently is never in one place. I couldnt help but recall that small fact in my mind whilst hiking through isolated bush, and getting the fright of my life when suprised by a dog emerging from the dense bush.

Back on the ferry to Vancouver, I was weighing up the benefits of living far away from the city. These small communities, where space and time seems endless, have a lifestyle that money cannot buy. The people are so much more content than city dwellers. Perhaps that'll be me one day...

These British Columbians really have a good life. We seem to be appreciating more and more BC , or rather I should say Vancouver and surrounds, as time goes by. The sheer scale
Cape RogersCape RogersCape Rogers

A very controversial part of the island - this area has just been sold to property developers, who will be chopping down all those beautifull trees and bush. We decided to check out this area, whilst its still there.
of places to see , trips to do, activities to try out is overwhelming. I think one lifetime wouldnt be enough to exhaust all the possibilities here. As their licence plates proudly pronounce, Beautfull British Columbia, I believe its very much true!






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Cape Rogers - beachesCape Rogers - beaches
Cape Rogers - beaches

The water is really clear here, imagine it on a clear sunny day!
Killarney Lake Killarney Lake
Killarney Lake

eerie looking Killarney lake. A 2 hour loop takes you round the island. We didnt see the resident blue heron, but saw a couple of interesting looking ducklings.
Killarney LakeKillarney Lake
Killarney Lake

A bald eagle was resting on one of these stick like trees.
lighthouse cape rogerslighthouse cape rogers
lighthouse cape rogers

The lighthouse, at the end of the cape. Small and quaint.
Bowen IslandBowen Island
Bowen Island

Me giving the tree a hug.


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb