Rock - yippee


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
February 25th 2007
Published: March 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Smoke BluffsThe Smoke BluffsThe Smoke Bluffs

Can't wait to climb
Dahna: Even though the official Squamish climbing season had not yet begun, and most sensible people were still playing on the snow, Jono and I could not ignore that wondrous piece of Granite any longer. I just had a battle with Microsoft Word, which kept trying to make Squamish in to squeamish.

We caught a Greyhound bus out to the township of Squamish and stayed in what used to be a hostel aimed at climbers, which even had its own indoor bouldering cave. The hostel has changed owners, rooms have been painted pretty colours, the bouldering cave is now a storage shed, the hostel is now an “inn” and double rooms are now about $80. Apparently it now caters to a lot of people working at Whistler, which is only about an hour down the road, and even though there is plenty of work up there, there is also a shortage of accommodation. We have heard stories of people pretty much making their laundries into make-shift “bachelor pads” and renting them out for $500 a month.

“The Chief” - the big impressive cliff that sits behind and watches over the town and main climbing area, was, as expected, WAY TOO WET to climb, due to the fact that it had snow on it, but there were some smaller slabs, called the smoke bluffs, just a few hundred meters from the hostel that were dry-ish. It was wet enough to make the climbing pretty hard, and make fingers numb with cold, but we were on rock again! Just can’t wait for summer.

Then it was back to job applications again.

Oh, speaking of job applications, I had someone at a group job interview (one of the candidates) ask me if we speak “Kiwi” in Australia. She was serious.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Howe soundHowe sound
Howe sound

on the way to squamish
SnowSnow
Snow

Oh, did I mention that it snowed in the morning?
Maple leafMaple leaf
Maple leaf

Haven't managed to work out how to extract the syrup yet


12th March 2007

the rock
wonderful blog dee, beautiful new rope
15th March 2007

WTF is "kiwi"? Did you ask her if she spoke "stupid" or was the answer to that obvious? ;)
18th March 2007

Vicarious travelling
Thanks for sharing this adventure - great to feel like we are there with you, only much easier and warmer! We had a chuckle over some of the pics and the titles you have given them! Hope the work bit is going well and you are getting good experience lots love US

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb