HA Cruise, Westerdam - Seattle to Vancouver, Canada


Advertisement
Published: May 15th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 7thMay 2023 SEATTLE

We arrived in Seattle about 7.00am – very easy transfer, by taxi ($20.00 flat fee!!) to our hotel and we started exploring about 8.00am!! Of course, everything was shut, but we did manage to find our way to the Space Needle, which was about 10minute walk, and the Space Needle opened at 9.00am!! We weren’t quite their first customer but after a ‘different’ ride on a lift, on the OUTSIDE of the tower were treated to some wonderful views of Seattle and the Bay in glorious sunshine! Had a very short zoom meeting with Chris family from the top as well!! Looked at then revolving glass floor on the way down- Chris walked on it, I didn’t!!

Wandered through the huge Park and then walked down to the waterfront and watch two seagulls stuff their mouths with starfish! We first thought they were bagels but it was definitely starfish and they weren’t letting them go even though they were too big to swallow whole!!

Waled along the seafront, sitting down on Pier 62 that was decked out with tables and chairs and various giant games such as Connect4, Chess as well as a small football pitch! (it was probably for baseball!!) Had some lunch of freshn salmon at The Crab Pot on one of the Piers and then walked to Pioneer Square where we had a quick look round the Klondike National Park Museum (it was free!!) which explained about the Gold Rush in 1896 where they suffered great hardships on various trails. In the Assay office in Seattle, $174 million in gold had passed through by 1902. Came across a Waterfall Garden Park, which made a very pleasant stop (saw my 2nd humming bird!!) and a square with music and firefighters in it!!

Decided to catch the ferry to Bainbridge Island (there was a ferry due at 15.05 but it didn’t arrive until 15.30!) and got chatting to Edward Ashley Ives (look him up!!) who turned out to represent USA for rowing and knew Steve Redgrave. Decided that as it was just millionaires houses on the waterfront, and time was ticking on, we would get the same ferry back, which we did!!

Walked up 1st Avenue (don’t walk up 3rd avenue because of crime – so a woman on the ferry told us!!) and then walked up Pine Avenue to the monorail station, which we caught back to the Space Needle and walked back to the hotel where we checked into our room and had a pleasant surprise, as it was a whole suite with complete working kitchen!! (Hotel Marqueen)

Monday 8th May 2023 SEATTLE

Another day exploring Seattle – we were going to focus on Pikes Place Market and China Town! Got the bus outside the hotel to Downtown and got off near Pikes Place Market! Crazy place! Throwing fish and crabs around ( that could be just to entertain the visitors!!) and spread over several streets and different levels! Wandered around, found the famous gum wall (that they had cleaned in 2015, where in some places it was 7” thick!!) and also the first ever Starbucks Coffee Shop!! Loads of different markets, ie ·The Sanitary Market (no work horses allowed!) The Economy Market and lots of others!! Watched the handmade cheese being made in Beechers Cheese Shop, in a huge bath tub. Found a little terrace, I think it was called Seniors, full of bath-tubs made into raised beds with seeds planted in them. Plenty of chairs to sit down and admire the views….. Looked at the Giant Shoe Museum and couldn’t resist putting 50 cents in the slot to have a view of ‘the Worlds Largest Collection of Giant Shoes’!! An interesting place with the promise of more hidden gems that we didn’t find!!

Caught the bus over to Jackson Street which was the stop for Chinatown. Found the Chinese gate, a few dragons and Hing Hay Park, where a couple of Chinese people were playing what looked like draughts or something!! Didn’t go in Wing Luke Asian Museum but found a wonderful old tea shop where we had some oolong and rose tea!! There didn’t seem to be a lot there so walked back to Smith Tower, which we were going to go up but it was shut!! Plan b it was then!!

Sat down in Pikes Place Market for lunch, overlooking the roadworks and the Bay and decided to stroll back to the hotel via the waterfront, the Olympic sculpture park and then Seattle Centre which is what we did!! (Hotel Marqueen)

Tuesday 9th May 2023 VICTORIA, VANCOUVER ISLAND

Up early as the taxi was coming at 7.15 to take us to Pier 69 to catch the ferry to Victoria at 8.00am. It was cloudy and looked like rain which made for a dismal crossing! We had seats at the front of the catamaran where there was no side window, but it didn’t matter as there were loads of empty seats and we spent most of the time outside, whale watching!! (We didn’t see any!!) By the time we got to Victoria (11.00am!) it had brightened up, with blue sky and sun!! Picked the car up ok from Avis and found we had been upgraded to a Dodge Charger saloon aka The Beast!!

First of all we went to Butchant Gardens that sooo many people on the cruise had recommended! It was about 40mins out of Victoria so we got there just before 13.00ish. Fantastic gardens and I can see why they are rated in the top five of the World. They were created in 1900s by Mrs Jennie Butchand who had an idea to turn the worked out limestone quarry, that had supplied her husband Roberts, nearby Portland Cement plant. With its fountains, statues, sunken gardens, colour everywhere, Japanese and Italian gardens, wonderful vistas and views, carousel, totem poles, viewpoints, bog garden, trees, concert garden, waterwheels, rose garden – it was truly amazing and I wish we had time to sit and stare at it BUT onwards we went to Craigdarroch Castle which was owned by the richest man in Victoria (so the ferry man told us!!)

Onwards to Government House, That also had wonderful garden , very different to Butchant, more overgrown and not so distinct but they were trying to save the Garry oak trees. The Government house, amongst others, had welcomed the Queen, Churchill, Princess Margaret, and the Queen Mother.

Our next stop was Beacon Hill Park where we walked along the cliff tops- Dallas Road Waterfront ( looking for Orcas – didn’t see any!!) and watched the hand gliders.

Checked into our hotel and walked to Fishermans Wharf, where we had a fish and chip supper sat outside in the sun (it was about 19.30pm by now!!) After looking around Fishermans Wharf we caught the last Ferry to The Fairmont Empress Hotel which is said to have an impressive lobby (It was ok – not that impressive though!!) Took some wonderful photos of the Government Building on the waterfront as they put their lights on (2300 apparently, so Chris read somewhere!!) and some amazing sunset shots over the water! (James Bay inn)

Wednesday 10th May 2023 VANCOUVER ISLAND

Woke up at 6.00am and was on the road by 7.45am!! Wanted to see Downtown Victoria including Chinatown but didn’t have any cash to park the car so we just had a drive through!!

Our first stop, apart from a couple of viewpoints with a totem pole, was the Malahat Skywalk. We were in two minds whether to go in or not (apart from the fact it wasn’t open for another 5mins!!) but so glad we did!! A lovely walkway, very safe, through the treetops of the Douglas Fir Trees until we reached the ‘corkscrew structure’ that wound around, taking us up slowly to the top floor, where we had lush views of all the islands (no orcas though!!) Loads of information and boards all the way round, and a tube slide from about the 6th floor down to the bottom!! Even Chris declined that one!

Went to Cowichan Bay Harbour where there were a lot of houses on stilts! Quite colourful but not that good. The Pier that some of the houses are built on, was built in 1925. Cowichan Bay is dominated by a mountain, the original name was Quw’utsun meaning ‘warm land’ and then name has since been anglicized!

Our next stop was Duncan, the City of Tokens!! Quite an interesting little town with a disused railway and station! There was about 44 totem poles but we only saw about 15 of them!!

Onto Chemainus which was supposed to have loads of murals and we thought we would get some lunch!! Wrong!! Went into a café – she only had cookies and cake left but she told us where we could get food. Unfortunately we turned right instead of left, and ended up at Kin Beach!! It was very nice but we were hangry by now, so back to the car it was and we drove into the old historic centre to get some soup!! Loads of murals!!

As time was ticking on, (and it was quite hot and sunny by now!!) we decided to make Coombs our last stop! Strange little place with shops and huge stone garden ornaments and goats on the roof of one of them!! Had a Nanaimo Bar for my dessert today as they are famous? (Harbor Lights Motel)

Thursday 11th May 2023 WHISTLER

Up early again as we were catching the BC ferry – Queen of Coquitlam at 8.25am from Nanimou to Horseshoe Bay. Fantastic views all round – Victoria Island, Vancouver and snowy Whistler peaks. (No whales!!)

We were going to take the Sea – Sky Highway 99 – good job we were warned about the exit or we would have missed it and taken one of the three lanes into Vancouver. The exit we wanted was on the right hand side and we were on the far left of the ship!!

However, we found it and our first stop was Murrin Provincial Park. There was a lake there that we walked around in about 20mins (mainly to get warmed up from whale watching on the ferry!! It was very windy even though the sun was out and forecast for all day!!) Then we drove to Shannon Falls Provincial Park where there was a 335metre drop waterfall. It was huge!! Missed the turning for Stawmus Chief Park (another time!!)

Went to the visitors centre at Squamish and then found a lovely little café for our soup!! Squamish wasn’t at all how I had imagined, as it appeared to be a fairly recent accumulation of shops etc!! It is dominated by the Squamish Chief that is a 710 metre high monolith – the second largest granite monolith in the world – and was formed 100 million years ago. The Squamish indigenous people from this area, consider the Chief to be a place of spiritual significance,

Stopped at a few more viewpoints before reaching the short trail to Brandywine Falls. This was another waterfall, smaller, and created differently to the one at Shannon Falls.Then we drove to our hotel in Whistler and after dumping our stuff, had a look round the Olympic Village. Whistler was host to Olympic Winter Games in 2010. A huge modern ‘city’ probably built for the athletes, with loads of eateries etc. We were spoilt for choice and ended up overlooking the fountains and totem pole. We also learnt that the name Whistler Mountain was inspired by the whistle like call of the Hoary Marmot!! (The Listel Hotel)

Friday 12th May, Saturday 13th May, Sunday 14th May 2023 VANCOUVER

Up early (again!!) as we had to get the car back to Vancouver by 11.45am and it was about 120 kms and I wanted to stop in at a viewpoint we had missed yesterday! (The viewpoint turned out to be not that special but hey ho – you never know!!)

We entered Vancouver, over the Lions Gate Bridge, about 11.00am and were immediately hit by traffic jams – everywhere!! Very stressful driving for Chris, who ended up in a bus lane ( the bus driver was NOT happy and hooted us!!) but we found the hotel – only to find there was a lorry outside so we couldn’t park! In the end parked in The Listel Hotel car park next door (we were only going to be 5 mins!) and tried to check in. Agghh – a load of French people were trying to check out at the same time and their cases were everywhere + we had about 10 steps to go up into the hotel! (no mean feat when Chris has to lug both the cases up the stairs – I just cant do it with my knees!) Anyway, our room was ready so Chris had to then lug the cases up two more flights of stairs to our room!!

And then back to the car!! Fortunately the car has sat-nav so we were able to negotiate the one way and grid systems, only we then remembered that we hadn’t filled up with petrol!! Checked in with the car rental, who added on another hour for us, told us the way to the petrol station, and then we had to leave the car in P3 of a parking lot! Not easy at all and it took us the best part of an hour to do!!

So here we were, on a street, didn’t have a clue where we were or which way to go, no maps, so we di the only sensible thing which was jump in a taxi and told him to drop us somewhere we could go whale watching!! This was lost in translation somehow as he dropped us off at the Aquarium in Stanley Park!! (Maybe they have whales!!)

Managed to pick up maps, and walked across Stanley Park, via Brockton Oval, to view ‘The girl in a Wetsuit’ and the replica of a figurehead of the S.S.Empress of Japan that sailed these waters for 31 years 1891-1922.

The walked on round to view all the totem poles and under the .lighthouse, then watched the sea planes taking off and landing every 10 minutes or so. Walked back to the aquarium and hoped that a taxi would turn up!! Fortunately it did, so we took it to Gastown, after driving around the park (it was all a one way system!!) Walked down Water Street and viewed the Steam Clock (wondered why no-one was there – it was 16.05pm and it whistles at 16.00pm!!)

As it was such a lovely street we had something to eat in the Old Spaghetti Factory! Thought we would then walk down to the bottom of Water Street and walk the two blocks into Chinatown, view the gate and walk back to the hotel! Wrong!! As soon as we walked one block away from Water Street there were loads of homeless people and it felt decidedly unsafe!! Walked back up Water Street and got a taxi back to the hotel!! (Barclay Hotel) 523kms in 3 days

Saturday 13th May 2023 VANCOUVER

It is really hard to keep memento going when you are getting to the end of an epic trip! As this is our penultimate day Chris had booked us on a whale watching trip at Steveston, Richmond. We were going to take it easy and get a taxi there ($61.90 canadian dollars!!!) and not wait for the shuttle as it didn’t go until 10.30am which is about the time we got to Steveston. Had a good wander around the little place, calling in the Old Post Office that doubled up as a museum and wandered along the old Fishermans Wharf and had a quick peer at the boats selling their catch of the day in a sort of covered market! (to keep the seagulls away I reckon!!)

Anyway, it was soon time to board the boat. Fantastic views of the snowy mountains, as always, and we headed up towards Horseshoe Bay where they knew the approx. location of two hump backed whales. They were male siblings that were born two years apart that had recently met each other again and decided to hang out together!! It was about an hours fast trip on the boat before we saw them! Boy, th was so good. Loads of sightings of them splashing , blowing and playing about and we even saw them breaching! Amazing sight!

And better was yet to come!! Off we sped again, this time to try and see three transient Orca whales that were present in the area!! We were so lucky!! They rode the waves for about 3-4 minutes and we were able to see them very clearly! Wow!!

The harbour seals were just no match for them (no not even the millionaire houses – the most expensive properties in Canada!!) The sea lions were quite good to see but we didnt hang around for too long as we had been out on the boat for about 4hrs! Checked with the office if they had spare room on the shuttle (which they did – no charge!!) and it wasn’t leaving for 45mins so we had time to walk to the historic canning factory and Garrys Point, that was a lovely little park with a couple of beaches.

Got dropped off by the shuttle at Canada Place and after walking to the end of the pier, walked along the waterfront, past the Vancouver Convention Centre and Coal Harbour Seaside Port, up Jervis Street to Robson Street, where we had a meal and went back to the hotel. (Barclay Hotel)

Sunday 15th May 2023 VANCOUVER

It has arrived! Our going home day! Our flight wasn’t until 19.55pm so we had a whole days sight-seeing to do!! We decided to go to Granville Island and have a look round so after dumping our cases at reception, got a taxi there ( ok – so we had a bit of trouble finding a taxi but it was 9.00am on a Sunday morning!!) Got off on Granville Island and had a walk about past the Sea Village to Ron Batsford Park – all very quiet, so we bought a taxi ticket ($16 Canadian Dollars Hop On Hop Off!) and went up False Creek, past David Lam Park, Yaletown and the Olympic Village, with spectacular views of mountains, water, boats and downtown! Also saw the Sea Village and went under Granville Bridge and Cambie Bridge (I think!!)

Wonderful journey and by the time we got off the ferry, Granville Island was heaving!!! Had a wander through the crowded Public Market, got fish and salad for lunch and sat on the waterfront, listening to the music! Lovely atmosphere!

Walked back to Sutcliff Park (loads of Canada geese with their babies! ) and then went to Fishermans Wharf, where they were still unloading their catch and the people were queued up waiting to buy fish and chips! Walked under Burrard St Bridge, past Creekside Park to Vanier Park with view of snow on the mountains!! First of all we came across a beach with loads of dogs playing ball and swimming and then walked to Kitsiland Beach which is on the sea, where loads of people were sunbathing or having picnics!! Lovely cool breeze here! Walked back to the Maritime Museum to catch the ferry back to Granville Island!!

As it was only just after 2.00pm we caught the ferry (because we could!!) on a round trip to the Olympic Village and back to appreciate the fantastic views and sun!! Then it was back in a taxi to the hotel (they were storing our luggage!) and then the airport for our 9 1/2hr flight home which left at 19.55 Sunday evening and lands in UK 13.20pm Monday pm!! National Express Coach booked home from Heathrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 109, Displayed: 35


Advertisement



16th May 2023

The blog post about Victoria, British Columbia, provides an engaging and informative account of the author's experience. The vivid descriptions of the city's landmarks, such as the Inner Harbour and Butchart Gardens, paint a clear picture of their beauty and appeal. The inclusion of personal anecdotes and recommendations adds a personal touch and enhances the reader's connection with the writer. The use of photographs complements the text, capturing the essence of Victoria's charm. Overall, this well-written blog post successfully conveys the author's enthusiasm for Victoria, making it an enjoyable and insightful read for anyone planning to visit this captivating city. Visit AI Cover Letter Generator!

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb