New Year's in Nelson


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Nelson
January 2nd 2009
Published: January 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This is actually hard workThis is actually hard workThis is actually hard work

First time riding in powder snow, Jenny learns that this snowboarding thing can be pretty tough sometimes!
Hi Everyone,

Wanted to update you with our discovery of a new favourite (local) vacation spot.

We went for snowboarding but fell in love with Nelson's charm and scenery. Locals are super friendly and there are so many neat little boutique shops and a variety of interesting restaurants. Our favourite spot was a diner called 'The Outer Clove,' where they feature -- you guessed it -- a garlic inspired menu. All I can say is, this joint is so far off the hook it's fantastic. We went twice. Jenny had a delectable curry dish one time and a falafel wrap the next, while I had a sinfully tasty cannelloni one time and the aptly-named 'Yum Burger' the other.

Best of all, Nelson had the best powder Jenny had seen yet! The snowboarding conditions at Whitewater were excellent!

After punishing ourselves on the hill we took the twisty and scenic 45 minute drive up to the natural hotsprings in Ainsworth, where they feature a cave amid the pools. The drive alone is reason enough to venture away from Nelson, and if we'd had our timing down properly we'd have caught the world's longest free ferry ride across the
Old-schoolOld-schoolOld-school

The lifts are old... but it adds a rather rustic charm, shall we say? If you board and don't mind hoofing it, hikewater... er, Whitewater can be a boon.
lake on our way home. Oh well, it's on our list for next time. We caught wind of the ferry schedule from a gas station as it eluded my searching online.

Anyways, we are in the beginning stages of planning a trip to the Mayan Riviera in May of this year, so stay tuned for more!!!!

Jenny and Dustin.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Morning on the lakeMorning on the lake
Morning on the lake

View from the parking lot of our hotel.
Nestled in NelsonNestled in Nelson
Nestled in Nelson

The way the town is just nestled into its surroundings lends Nelson something of a cozy feeling.
Building on HeratigeBuilding on Heratige
Building on Heratige

Nelson was chosen for wholesale restoration and preservation efforts on its buildings by the government. It worked, the place is beautiful!
Where Garlic is King!Where Garlic is King!
Where Garlic is King!

The Outer Clove... a superb restaurant that is proud to be all-things garlic. They even had garlic cookies.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb