JULY 8, 2011 - FT. NELSON TO LIARD HOTSPRINGS


Advertisement
Published: July 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

July 8, 2011 – FT. NELSON TO LIARD HOTSPRINGS.
Unfortunately we started off in the rain this morning and the clouds hung low over the mountains so we were not able to get clear panoramic views. This was one of the more picturesque drives as the road climbed over the Rocky Mountains or paralleled rivers and lakes. There are many signs along the way warning about the danger of wildlife on the road (Moose; Elk; Bear; Bison). Unfortunately, the only wildlife we saw today was a Black Bear on the side of the road enjoying the fresh green grass. The road was rougher today with lots of repair spots consisting of a load of gravel dust poured on a strip of oil. That makes for a lot of dust and a lot of rocks thrown up by passing cars and trucks. Seems BC could come up with a better way to repair highways since they also run the government owned Insurance Corporation of British Columbia which insures all vehicles and has to pay for the broken windshields.
We arrived at the camp at Liard Hotsprings about 3:30 this afternoon, and immediately walked over to the Provincial Park across the street to enjoy the hot pools. For dinner this night our two leader couples provided a Hot Dog and Chili dinner out at the camp fire. Then after that we had opportunity to make our own S’mores and once again the guys had fun acting like a “kid” again. I believe many of us have grandchildren, so it’s not too difficult to know how to act at a camp fire cookout!! We are now close to the Yukon border and far enough North that we should not be bothered by the heavy rains forecast for Ft. Nelson, Prince George and the interior regions of BC. Tomorrow we enter the Yukon Territory and stop at Watson Lake.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb