LYN CHRYSTAL: North to Watson Lake


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Fort Nelson CampgroundFort Nelson CampgroundFort Nelson Campground

We all enjoyed this campground albeit a bit pricey at $35/night + tax
We continued to run into a lot of rain throughout Northern Alberta and British Columbia. Although we enjoyed the campground and museum at Fort Nelson, the rain was relentless. Sybil decided to truck on when we got to Fort Nelson and we will meet up with her later.
The road from Fort Nelson to Watson Lake, Yukon is reported to be one of the most scenic on the Alaska Highway. What we saw was through our rain drenched windshields wipers. We had planned to take a dip in the naturally heated waters at Liard Hot Springs but I think the picture I have included just says it all……. We stayed the night in the gravel pull-out that was opposite to the Provincial Park and walked across to see the springs but Ted Applegate was the only one who donned his bathing suit and actually went in. Good for you Ted!
We had seen a herd of bison about five miles before Liard Hot Springs so the next morning Gary Maurina and Allan Wiedel took off early to see if they could find them again. They got some great pictures, as I am sure they will share on the blog.
As we
Happy HourHappy HourHappy Hour

The rain did let up one day so that we could enjoy our social hour outside.
started our drive from Liard the clouds slowly began to lift, by noon it was sunny and we pulled into Watson Lake under clear blue skies, we’re here for two nights so let’s hope it stays like this.
FYI: We have now driven over 900 miles of the Alaska Highway and have had no problem with road conditions. There are rough spots (10-15’) but they are well marked and we have only run into two major road resurfacing spots, each about a half mile long; and one bridge reconstruction job. So no complaints thus far.
Mosquitoes! We weren’t bothered by them for the first ten days of our trip but since the sun has come out so have they. These little guys are tiny and silent compared to their Texas cousins who are Texan enough to show themselves and announce their presence; the Yukon variety leave and equally large bump and is just as itchy. We are providing the locals with a varied menu as they seem to know just where to get some of the good blue blood from around my hair-line and ears and a serving of the red blooded American variety for dessert.
Gas! Four of the
SaloonSaloonSaloon

One of the reasons we enjoyed it so much
five of us are driving gas guzzling rigs. We filled up in Watson Lake yesterday at $1.34999/litre, which computes out to $5.10c/U.S. gallon, we did however get a discount for staying in the campground at the gas station which reduced my $285 bill by $4.16c.
We had thought that almost everything would be more expensive and it is. I paid $6.99 for an imperial gallon of fat-free milk at the main grocery market in Watson Lake. (An imperial gallon is 4 litres; a U.S. gallon is only 3.78 litres.)



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Liard RiverLiard River
Liard River

We left Fort Nelson in the rain and arrived at Laird Hot Springs in the rain.
BoondockingBoondocking
Boondocking

Although we are staying in some "up market" campgrounds we also have done a fair share of boondocking whenever possible.
UniformUniform
Uniform

This is my uniform for Northern Alberta and BC. Betty has one similar! We walked across to the Hot Springs and got completely soaked in the process
Bull BisonBull Bison
Bull Bison

When the guys got back from their bison hunting expedition Gary took me to see this big bull that was just about a mile from our camp.
ClearingClearing
Clearing

The weather improved 100% as we drove north. This was our first view of snow-capped mountains since we left Jasper
The YukonThe Yukon
The Yukon

The Yukon welcome us with sunshine
Watson LakeWatson Lake
Watson Lake

Watson Lake is the location of the Sign Post Forest. I couldn't resist this shot, that is Durban, South Africa, and KSU = Kansas State University, the Almamater of one of my daughters.
AdditionAddition
Addition

We added a Solos logo to the Escapees board that we found. A group of Boomers had bee there a few days before us.


26th June 2011

Enjoying vicariously
Thanks for sharing. I have a friend-Al Koesters-who is about 2 days behind you. He is telling me where he is and where he is headed but he is not as descriptive as you. Someday I hope to make the same trip. Lucia stuck in Texas
26th June 2011

Great Travel Blog North to Alaska
Lyn Chrystal…Sounds like all is going well and making good mileage on your trip North to Alaska. I am summering here in Portland and enjoying the Solos travel blog. Keep posting those great pics…Phil Van Hise
27th June 2011

Great pictures and commentary
I'm glad to finally get to see the pictures and hear about your trip 'going North to Alaska'. It sounds like it is going well and you are having fun. I look forward to future posts.
28th June 2011

Only about 1/2 inch of rain at the Escapees CARE center.
Lyn and gang, Thanks for sharing you great adventure. I look forward to more updates. Texas could use some of your precipitation. I am off to Aspen, CO through the end of September. Stop by if your return route brings you near. Safe Travels, John Ramares Newbe Solo
28th June 2011

Mosquito fix
Here is something I found that helped last summer when I was on the Alaska Highway. Get a spray bottle and some regular Listerine (the old brown stuff). Spray it on your screen door and around the door frame every day. It keeps the mosquitos away. Worked for me. Too bad you missed the hot springs dip. On a sunny day it is nice. Safe travels and wave at the turn off to Atlin (my home town) as you go by. It is about 50 miles east of Whitehorse. and the prettiest town in North America.
30th June 2011

Alaska
I and a friend did Alaska in 2004 two and a half months.u guys have some more great,beautiful country ahead of u. Are u doing TOP OF WORLD HWY.? We did had our one and only problem a flat tire near CHICKEN!! I think the Glaciers impressed me the most. Right now I am at Glacier Nat'l Park.Enjoy it is a trip of lifetime!! hugs loris
30th June 2011

Alaska
I and a friend did Alaska in 2004 two and a half months.u guys have some more great,beautiful country ahead of u. Are u doing TOP OF WORLD HWY.? We did had our one and only problem a flat tire near CHICKEN!! I think the Glaciers impressed me the most. Right now I am at Glacier Nat'l Park.Enjoy it is a trip of lifetime!! hugs loris

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb